Protein skimmer

gentlefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not heard of such. Hang on back is possible like remora or even in tank Tunze (but what do do with the micro bubbles) But I think short of a remote refugium…difficult proposal.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Learned something new. Thanks. Any issues with skim overflow onto carpet?

The skimmer cup overflowing can be a concern but most external should have a drain plug you can run to a bucket or drain. Some now have a built in float switch to turn it off when level in cup gets high.

OP
OP
StPatrick89

StPatrick89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s a refugium? I’ve been seeing that lately.
I have not heard of such. Hang on back is possible like remora or even in tank Tunze (but what do do with the micro bubbles) But I think short of a remote refugium…difficult proposal.
No ....
they have a return outlet that goes directly back into the sump .
they need water pumped to them .
So a skimmer CANT be run without a sump is what you’re saying?

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Per @Rmckoy skimmers are made that are external and they come in variety of types (HOB, stand alone, etc.). Cup overflow is a particular concern with any external skimmer. I DO NOT recommend running a drain tube from the cup to any drain as a solution to this problem. Many people have tried this and had disasters because something causes a long-lasting skimmer overflow that they don't notice (because it's constantly draining instead of collecting) and that leads to a bunch of saltwater being drained from the tank. If you have auto top-off with RODI water, you end up with super low salinity and livestock stress/death.
Anyway, a good solution is to put the external skimmer in a bin of some type. That way you'll notice overflow, but your floor won't. When I had an external skimmer, I put a leak detector in my bin. I don't like HOB skimmers because I think they degrade the look of the DT---and it's harder to deal with cup overflows.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s a refugium? I’ve been seeing that lately.

So a skimmer CANT be run without a sump is what you’re saying?

If you just have no sump at all it gets more tricky with an external skimmer and probably not a reasonable option, but possible i guess. The skimmer can be placed higher than the tank though so it can gravity drain directly to the tank. Besides the logistical issues you may have microbubbles may also be an issue.

OP
OP
StPatrick89

StPatrick89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you just have no sump at all it gets more tricky with an external skimmer and probably not a reasonable option, but possible i guess. The skimmer can be placed higher than the tank though so it can gravity drain directly to the tank. Besides the logistical issues you may have microbubbles may also be an issue.
Ok, so let me ask this. Does the Skimmer just have to sit in a tub of water or does this “sump” have to have all the other compartments?

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can sit in a "tub"(thats all a sump is really), but you still need a pump of some sort to either feed the "tub", or return the water back to the display from the "tub".

OP
OP
StPatrick89

StPatrick89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can sit in a "tub"(thats all a sump is really), but you still need a pump of some sort to either feed the "tub", or return the water back to the display from the "tub".
Ok, I have to research a diagram of how a skimmer works

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is always the possibility that a skimmer can overflow. If it’s in sump it overflows back into sump. If it’s not in sump it overflows onto floor. Personally would not run skimmer outside sump, and if it’s the only option an overflow shut off sensor a must

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Per @Rmckoy skimmers are made that are external and they come in variety of types (HOB, stand alone, etc.). Cup overflow is a particular concern with any external skimmer. I DO NOT recommend running a drain tube from the cup to any drain as a solution to this problem. Many people have tried this and had disasters because something causes a long-lasting skimmer overflow that they don't notice (because it's constantly draining instead of collecting) and that leads to a bunch of saltwater being drained from the tank. If you have auto top-off with RODI water, you end up with super low salinity and livestock stress/death.
Anyway, a good solution is to put the external skimmer in a bin of some type. That way you'll notice overflow, but your floor won't. When I had an external skimmer, I put a leak detector in my bin. I don't like HOB skimmers because I think they degrade the look of the DT---and it's harder to deal with cup overflows.
One of my My first tanks was a 75 gal with a canister filter and hang on coralife 125 hang on skimmer .
worked great until that one day I went away and it overflowed pumping 8” of the water from the tank onto the floor .
good thing , it was only a 75 gal
Bad thing . I was in a upstairs apartment and the lady living below me wasn’t happy with all the salty fish water

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In addition to your comment about placing a external skimmer in a tub .
The older reef octopus where the collection cup ran into a bucket . There was no safety feature to turn off the skimmer if it was full or over flowing .
The current Mrc skimmer . The collection cup flows into a separate collection cup with a ball float at the top .
when it’s full the ball lifts and cuts off the air going through the unit .
No air means no bubbles . Which essentially shuts the skimmer off .

so far this skimmer works the best for me .

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In addition to your comment about placing a external skimmer in a tub .
The older reef octopus where the collection cup ran into a bucket . There was no safety feature to turn off the skimmer if it was full or over flowing .
The current Mrc skimmer . The collection cup flows into a separate collection cup with a ball float at the top .
when it’s full the ball lifts and cuts off the air going through the unit .
No air means no bubbles . Which essentially shuts the skimmer off .

so far this skimmer works the best for me .
Less bubbles usually means more water, which = more/faster flooding.
Reef octopus skimmers with varios pumps have a shut off that shut off pump entirely. Maybe other shut off sensor options, and there is always diy options

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Less bubbles usually means more water, which = more/faster flooding.
Reef octopus skimmers with varios pumps have a shut off that shut off pump entirely. Maybe other shut off sensor options, and there is always diy options

if I turn the air off going into the skimmer.
the water level drops .

Back