Protein skimmer

Napoliandy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone. I have a few questions. I am looking to get a better protein skimmer. Presently using a aquatic life mini skimmer but I just don’t think it’s enough anymore, aside from the fact that it’s not functioning as properly as it used to. I have a 37 gallon cube aquarium with 20 pds of rock. It is a mixed reef tank that is moderately stocked. Three fish three shrimp and snails and crabs. Have softies, lps, and sps. My only chamber that would be available in my 10 gallon sump is the first chamber. The middle holds all my filtration. The available space is approximately 5.9in by 7in with a water depth of 91/2 inches. I have plenty of space height wise under the stand. I did something right when I built it. I did not however account for anything bigger than a 10 gallon sump. It limits me on skimmers because of size. I want to get something that would fit but give me enough power, but doesn’t break the bank. I have been researching and I have been looking at four of them. Can I please get peoples input and their experience on this. I don’t want to waste anymore money than I have to. The four prospects are:
1) aquamaxx ws-1 in sump 25-65 gallons
2) bubble magus c3.5 30-80 gallons
3) bubble magus c5.5 80-135 gallons
4) icecap k1-100 40-80 gallons
Also, is it possible to go to big gallons wise on a protein skimmer? Would it be a bad thing?
Thanks for looking. Sorry for the long post.
margherita.

image.jpg

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No advice on which skimmer but....I might consider a bit more rock instead? How long this system been up and running? If you saying skimmer isn't functioning properly, why is that? Less aeration? Pump pushing less?

OP
OP
Napoliandy

Napoliandy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No advice on which skimmer but....I might consider a bit more rock instead? How long this system been up and running? If you saying skimmer isn't functioning properly, why is that? Less aeration? Pump pushing less?
Not sure why it is not working. Just keeps overflowing and back to the basics when it’s skimming like when I first got it. I recently cleaned it and it started after that. I also have bunch of rock rubble in the sump. Plus more sand. The tank has been running a little over a year.

OP
OP
Napoliandy

Napoliandy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure why it is not working. Just keeps overflowing and back to the basics when it’s skimming like when I first got it. I recently cleaned it and it started after that. I also have bunch of rock rubble in the sump. Plus more sand. The tank has been running a little over a year.

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine did that for awhile after dialing it in, then it settled out of the blue. They can be moody. The rock rubble in sump changes my mind, you've probably got enough filtration that way then.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd recommend checking out reef octo skimmers. Had mine for 3 years and never a complaint.

Back