Protein skimmer

Luis_Rosario

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I need help, I just got this used protein skimmer for cheap and I was trying to clean it, I can’t take it apart so if anyone knows how to and also what size of pump do you guys recommend for it.

thank you

D2A9B30B-A7F0-45F0-B6C7-6E535848EE6B.jpeg 7089C29A-DBD9-4F5D-8D4B-DA949130B667.jpeg

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like an old Corallife skimmer.
DC always better but 400-800 gph….
Should be a sponge or sponge in a basket to trap bubbles.

I had the newer one, it did a great job on a 65g.

snorklr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the red collar should unscrew counterclockwise to remove the cup...might be stuck from salt and need to soak...the cap just pops off the cup...dont believe anything from there down comes apart...all glued together...it would use a needle wheel pump but dont know the size cause mine is the smaller model....dont have the bubble trap on mine (bought used too) but the baffle in my sump is slotted below the water line going into the fuge and the other end of fuge waterfalls onto a foam block then under the last baffle to the return so no microbubbles make it into the tank

Last edited:
OP
OP
Luis_Rosario

Luis_Rosario

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the red collar should unscrew counterclockwise to remove the cup...might be stuck from salt and need to soak...the cap just pops off the cup...dont believe anything from there down comes apart...all glued together...it would use a needle wheel pump but dont know the size cause mine is the smaller model....dont have the bubble trap on mine (bought used too) but the baffle in my sump is slotted below the water line going into the fuge and the other end of fuge waterfalls onto a foam block then under the last baffle to the return so no microbubbles make it into the tank
Thank you for your help

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great skimmers for a start and pocket book friendly but ….

they are a pain to clean ,
Always have a problem using them as hob and micro bubbles in the display tank .
they get excited easy and will for no reason overflow pumping as much of the display tank as the pickup tube can pump onto your brand new hard wood flooring .
That particular brand has put a foul taste in my mouth and ruined it’s chances of ever being part of any of my systems .

swc and bubble Magnus ruined my perspective on in sump skimmers . Now my preference has turned to external recirculating skimmers .

back to the skimmer posted above
I’d contact corallife and ask them about a pump , if using as in sump it wouldn’t need the sponge bubble trap basket where the outlet goes through .
or a specific length pick up tube to feed the skimmer .
They are a pain to clean . I have Filled a bucket with vinegar water and ran it over night to loosen what’s stuck .
and use a bottle brush to scrub what you can reach

Good luck

HeyLookItsCaps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vinegar baths/squirts do wonders for cleaning reef equipment. I have bought so many “extremely used” parts and after a solid soak and some elbow grease you would think it was fresh outta the box. Just give it a thorough wash after.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are articles on here regarding damage to pumps caused by vinegar swelling magnets or plastics .

I stopped using vinegar for cleaning pumps

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.9%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 16.8%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 42.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back