Protein skimmer

Mast33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all. When is it a good time to start a protein skimmer and Refugium. We have 150 gallon. 8 corals. A powder blue tang, koran angel, racoon butterfly, 2 clowns and firefish goby. I just didn't know which one we should add first. Thank u

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all. When is it a good time to start a protein skimmer and Refugium. We have 150 gallon. 8 corals. A powder blue tang, koran angel, racoon butterfly, 2 clowns and firefish goby. I just didn't know which one we should add first. Thank u
When you nitrate and phosphate levels suggest it

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree......skimming has other benefits besides nutrient removal. Unless your nutrients are bottomed out, I would run it from day one.

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you're aiming for <5ppm nitrate and <0.03 phosphate, neither are necessary, unless/until you plan on increasing your bioload.

That said, I started with a skimmer and added a fuge later.

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My phos is .03 and nitrate around 10. I didnt know if I should get skimmer since we have fish already
you have ideal parameters why would you mess it up?
I'd already be skimming. It's the best oxygenator even from day one. Is there some new rule I'm not aware of?
looks like you have loads to read. Lol
I agree......skimming has other benefits besides nutrient removal. Unless your nutrients are bottomed out, I would run it from day one.
It will bottom out with his parameters for sure. He has no reason to do run it just yet. For oxidation run an air stone. That has no risks and maintenance

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say never. People seem to forget growers like Tyree or Tropicorium (which uses a pure Lee CHin Eng sytems without water pumps) have been very successful for decades without them. One thing that annoys me about skimmers is the skimmer manufacturers do not use any metric to quantify what thier skimmers are doing even though research done over a decade ago identifed two separate methods to use so consumers could compare skimmers to see which had the best price piont. Here's the research if you're intersted:

Protein Skimmer Performance, Pt 1

Protein Skimmer Performance, Pt 2

Elemental Analysis of Skimmate

Bacterial Counts in Reef Aquarium Water

OP
OP
M

Mast33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep an eye on that Racoon Butterfly especially, and the Angel not your most “reef safe” fish! Wish they were….beautiful fish. Good luck.
Oh I learned hard way with racoon. Got a trachyphyllia he nipped at it made skeltons pop out. I know have trachyphyllia in a fish catcher container lol. But the koran ,racoon and tang are literally best friends swim together show off. It's so cool to see. I was suprised too. I have montipora digitata 3 of them 3 gsp smaller ones 2 zoas and jack o lantern lepto. Racoon pecked at jack but it dont harm him. He's only done it a few times

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Skim once you have a bioload in whjich case you do
I dont rely on skimming for nitrate control, which I control with feeding and testing. I dont want unwanted waste product and inorganics for which I skim. The purpose of a protein skimmer in a reef aquarium is to remove protein and other organic waste material from the water column.
Another benefit is that the skimming process heavily oxygenates the water in the skimmer that is returned into the reef tank – improving the gas exchange. The improved gas exchange helps to maintain proper pH by reducing carbon dioxide buildup. Protein Skimmer during Tank Cycle: Don’t run your protein skimmer during tank cycling. It isn’t critical to run your skimmer during the cycle because there typically isn’t much waste in the aquarium plus skimmers are erratic during the break-in period due to a lack of a biofilm on the skimmer body.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 17 43.6%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 14 35.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.6%
Back