Protein skimmer

robreefer91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I get a protein skimmer will that help lower my nitrates? Maybe keep them in check. I need to figure out how to keep them low they go back up to 20 a few days after water change

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will protein skimmer help to lower your nitrates?
No guarantee, but installing and running efficient proitein skimmer could be helpful, also skimmer aerates water and helps pH adjustment. However, looking at your tank, your options for a good skimmer are limited.
As far as flow and reddish/brownish stuff in your tank (most probably cyano), I would say that your flow is deficient at least in certain places, like bottom.I do not really sea any powerhead and I must admit that in your size tank it is difficult to tune up flow properly.
I also think that yourn tank could benefit from more rock.

OP
OP
robreefer91

robreefer91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much for the reply. I have a submissive filter that I had only put in the tank as a power head it filter 225 gallons per hour. I figured just leave the sponges and let it be more filtration. It dispersed through two outlets one of which can be aimed up or down should I am it on an angle downward? The reddish stuff is along the wall where the one outlet is aimed now. Could it be my lighting? It is primarily on that side and it is mostly white light waiting for the reef light to come tomorrow.

bacc2bacc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   1
Protein skimmer will yes lower your nitrates because it skims out the organic before they break Down into nitrates

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would first play with outlets of your filters and yes you can try to direct them at the bottom. You could also consider getting some powerheads, theare are some brands making mini powerheads.
As far as light is regarded, if you can control spectrum, cut on white/red/green and bump blue. If you cannot adjust that, decrease photoperiod or/and raise lights up.

OP
OP
robreefer91

robreefer91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would first play with outlets of your filters and yes you can try to direct them at the bottom. You could also consider getting some powerheads, theare are some brands making mini powerheads.
As far as light is regarded, if you can control spectrum, cut on white/red/green and bump blue. If you cannot adjust that, decrease photoperiod or/and raise lights up.
Now question I thought blue was good for coral and doesn’t produce algae like white does. I can put like any color on or two colors but not with white smh. Also they only display at 25 percent for a single color and 50 percent for two so like red green would be 50 percent but green would be 25 percent brightness. I can ramp down the brightness for the full spectrum down right now I’m at about 11 hours of light at 100 percent with ramp up in the beginning.

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now question I thought blue was good for coral and doesn’t produce algae like white does. I can put like any color on or two colors but not with white smh. Also they only display at 25 percent for a single color and 50 percent for two so like red green would be 50 percent but green would be 25 percent brightness. I can ramp down the brightness for the full spectrum down right now I’m at about 11 hours of light at 100 percent with ramp up in the beginning.
I would cut red/green to 0 if possible, blue to 50% and white to 0 for now. You could turn it back later. I would just suggest running blues only if possible for now and not exceeding photoperiod over 12h. For now you could cut it to 8-10h, temporarily.

OP
OP
robreefer91

robreefer91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would cut red/green to 0 if possible, blue to 50% and white to 0 for now. You could turn it back later. I would just suggest running blues only if possible for now and not exceeding photoperiod over 12h. For now you could cut it to 8-10h, temporarily.
Got ya I misunderstood what you said before

OP
OP
robreefer91

robreefer91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this light. how should I set the lighting to be?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back