Protein Skimmers, Tigers and Bears Oh My...

DeeFromBrooklyn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why are we so quick to buy equipment we don't understand? I have a SC Aquariums Protein skimmer which has been skimming my system for three years now. I have heard from fellow hobbyist with multiple reactors, UV, Skimmer, Canister and hang on the back filters while still having diatoms and algae issues.
I love reactors because there is no mention of what to put in a Reactor but you can use one to address a multitude of situations.

What was the most basic successful reef system you've set up?

luke33

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The most basic that always worked for me is bare bottom, high flow, large skimmer and chaeto. To me that is a pretty natural setup.

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have a SCA Skimmer. for the money they do perform well. I would like a bigger cup on mine though. I have a mostly barebones system. 66 gal barebottom tank. 40 breeder sump chambered out. in it, I have a skimmer, a large fuge area with a massive ball of cheato. a UV and my return pump. thats it. I do run a filter sock to help with debris collection so it does not end up in the sump. I LOVE LOVE this system.

all that said, I ran a SRO 3000XP-INT skimmer on my 180. it woudl pull out some nastly sludge, but the SCA IMPO seems to perform just as well. it pulls some super stank nasty sludge and dark brown liquid.

JerSaint

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a deep sand bed and hob skimmer on my 29 and it has been running for a year and a half with great growth. I started of with weekly 10% water changes but now I do monthly 20% change and my top off is with Mrs. Wages pickling lime. Pretty basic but seems to be working.

reef208

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What was the most basic successful reef system you've set up?

Back in college I had a 10g nano reef with a 2x40w PC hood, maxijet 600, 15 lbs of live rock, 10 lbs of sand, and that's it. Definitely one of my favorite tanks. My current 10g has two N.O. fluorescent 15 w bulbs and a maxijet 600. Grows mushrooms pretty well. Simple can be better.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 36.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back