ProtoNate's 50 Gallon Cube Build

ProtoNate

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

As a grad student, I don't have a lot of money. As such, I have long been limited to a nano. I've been in the hobby for about three years, first with a 12 gallon long, and second with a 14 gallon IM Nuvo, both pictured below.

12 Gallon:

14 Gallon:

Someone broke into my car two weeks ago and stole a ton of camera equipment. Though this was a bummer, I am using the insurance money to build a new, big and bad tank, and I hope some of you will want to follow along.

The tank:

I found a decommissioned SCA 50 gallon cube with stand, sump, and a Kessil a360we for a good price locally, and I couldn't pass up the deal.

20200120_202901.jpg

Plumbing:

Plumbing is an amalgamation of what was included from the previous build, and what I could afford. I chose compression fittings because, undoubtedly, I will be moving several times in the near future and I would like to limit the amount of fittings I have to buy.

20200123_124212.jpg

Sump:

I'm attempting to mirror BRS' and WWC's modified method. This entails maintaining a refugium and bioblocks to maximize surface area for nitrifying bacteria.

The skimmer is an eshopps s-120. This will be my first attempt at running and setting a skimmer, so I am really excited.

The refugium is just the center compartment with chaeto and a 24" Marine Orbit Pro over the top. The light is scheduled to come on opposite the tank lights.

The return pump is just the crummy stock pump, for now. I hope to upgrade soon.

Sump.jpg

Rock:

For sand I went with Caribsea's Special Grade Arag-Alive because I plan to be pusing a lot of flow through the tank. For base rock, I tried Caribsea's Life Rock, since it was so cheap on Amazon ($65 for 40 lbs).

Amazon goofed and sent me THREE boxes of the stuff instead of one.

ROCK.jpg

First attempt at scapeing the tank:

First Attempt.jpg
First Attempt in Tank.jpg

Was far too busy, and left no space for swimmers or sticks to flourish.

Back to the drawing board:

One Box.jpg

Second attempt:

Attempt 2.jpg

Scape Guided.jpg

I was happy enough with this, so I filled the tank with water and went to bed and let it settle out over night.

Scape settled.jpg

After the inevitable troubleshooting of a leaky bulkhead, I am sitting at a 7/10. I tried to maximize space to mount coral on flats, while providing an interesting aesthetic.

Flow:

Flow is hopefully going to be accomplished by two Rossmont Movers mounted to the back glass, and about 1000gph through the return pump

Cycling:

I added 32 oz of FritzZyme 9 about a week ago; now we wait! Ammonia is already testing 0, but I'm going to give it another week before introducing any fishey bois.

Here's my proposed stocking list:
  • BABY yellow or sailfin tang
    • Tang police incoming. My LFS and I have a great relationship; they often will get them in at 1"-2", I believe this is a fine size for the 50Ga. The tang will be returned as soon as it reaches 4" and traded for another and allowed to grow out.
  • Lawnmower Blenny
  • Watchman Goby
  • Tailspot Blenny
  • Pair of Ocellaris
  • Flame Angel
  • Flasher Wrasse (or another pest-eating docile wrasse)
  • RBTAs
Any constructive comments and additions would be much appreciated.

Thank you for stopping by!

ProtoNate

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

ProtoNate

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dust settled enough to get a good picture of the rockwork. What do you all think?

I feel like it's missing a little something, but I am not sure what as of yet (but it's probably the coral.

20200127_222737.jpg

TRD4me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good any updates or changes? I am setting up my SCA 50 now. I sectioned off part of the return area in the sump for an ATO. Will see how that works out once I get water in it.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 28.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back