Puffer eye injury - any doctors in the house?

Ben jammin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got home tonight to find that my spiny box buffer suffered some sort of eye injury today. It looks like his cornea was scratched or even popped. It's very white and swollen and I'm concerned for the little guy. Any suggestions on what to do?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396658869.502490.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396658887.267162.jpg

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maintain good water quality and feed a healthy diet. It will come around and shouldn't have any Ill effects from this

OP
OP
B

Ben jammin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I do use Selcon and Vita - Chem so I'll keep it up and hopefully he'll recover. Want site if there was some kind of anti biotic I should be using our something

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need to worry there, it'll take a few weeks o heal up, and depends on the severity, might lose the eye, but they usually heal up nicely on their own.
Maracyn, would be what your looking for in antibacterial help.

OP
OP
B

Ben jammin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yikes, I hope he doesn't lose the eye. Would be terrible for him, and they have such beautiful green eyes. It really looks like the outer lens was "popped" and is now deflated. I have heard that an antibiotic like maracyn can kill my biological filter, LFS told me about an herbal remedy by API called Melafix that is supposedly safe but I'm suspicious, and it says you have to turn off your skimmer which I can't do if I want to maintain water quality. They also had a food called Dr. G's that is medicated with an antibiotic. Sounds like a good concept but I think it's not chunky enough for my puffer to eat.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Herbal are a toss up. I'd just leave him be at this point, let it heal on its own.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 63 46.3%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 43 31.6%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 20 14.7%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 9 6.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.7%
Back