Pukani Rock Changing

dvybiral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Reefers,
I am currently curing 80lbs of Pukani rock in a 32 brute trash can on my screened lani here in Florida, and has been curing for two months now. I change the saltwater every week and i have noticed that some of the rock turning a brownish color, but also I can see some pink coralline algae on some of the rock. My question is first is this normal, and my tank is not quite ready to go so can I keep on curing? I will post some photo's.
IMG_6368.JPG
IMG_6367.JPG
IMG_6367.JPG
IMG_6367.JPG
IMG_6368.JPG
IMG_6368.JPG
IMG_6368.JPG
IMG_6367.JPG
IMG_6368.JPG IMG_6367.JPG

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks exactly like mine does- I had it curing for 2 months, then in the tank cycling . It’s been wet for 5 weeks and it looks just like that

Smo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can cure for as long as you like. Might want to check your phosphate level. Pukani tends to leach it out during cure. You can speed this process by dosing your curing can with lanthanum chloride (SeaKlear Phosphate Remover). You can use it liberally. Just be sure to rinse your rocks well in clean sea water prior to placing them in your tank.
You will love the look and ease of aquascaping. To make some of the rocks sit flat on your tank bottom you can cut flat surfaces with a hack saw blade designed for ceramic tile.

Steve_Skullsplitter0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My rock also looked like that. I believe its normal and with time and water changes the phosphate will go down.

OP
OP
dvybiral

dvybiral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I test my phosphate levels the day after each water change and they are as follows.
Salifert test kit reads .25-0.1
Hanna checker .31 consistently
I will start testing more frequently during the 7 day period to see if it spikes more on the 3rd and 5th day.

OP
OP
dvybiral

dvybiral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really don't want to start my new tank with this rock until someone can give me a solution to this brownish coloring of the rock.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really don't want to start my new tank with this rock until someone can give me a solution to this brownish coloring of the rock.
The solution is to leave it in the sun and not let it get wet. Stuff is gonna grow. Bacteria is everywhere. I have never seen a mature tank with pure white rock. You can bleach rock white but it wont stay that way in water.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 58.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back