Pulled the trigger today

Tennsquire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, it RTNed on me. Almost overnight...
That sucks! How old is your tank? See if you can get a montipora digitata (or a monti cap) and see how that does. They're much more forgiving and you might be able to pick one up from a local reefer for free (or cheap).

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed, like 3 of the easier sps will give you some leeway. When I started out I got a pocillipora, stylophora, and a single acro. The first two have gone up and down, but are fist size now, where as the acropora is just two fingers or so.

Smaller frags are the hardest, if they make it past a week or two you're golden. But rtn at the beginning can happen with even the most advanced reefers, so don't be hard on yourself.

OP
OP
Wet_Fretboards

Wet_Fretboards

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bummer, sometimes it wasn't meant to be. There are some more hardy pieces than others. Ask anyone who's been in the hobby long enough and everyone has lost a few. I have somewhere near 20 and have lost at least 5-10, some thrive some don't immediately. It takes awhile for some to do well, so once you get a few that thrive, you get the hang of locations that work.

What are your lights?
AI Hydra 26 at 12" AWL.

OP
OP
Wet_Fretboards

Wet_Fretboards

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sucks! How old is your tank? See if you can get a montipora digitata (or a monti cap) and see how that does. They're much more forgiving and you might be able to pick one up from a local reefer for free (or cheap).

Yeah the funny thing is I had already read / watched that acro was the hardest of the hard ones, and knew I should've started with some of the others. But it was SO COOL LOOKIN'!!!!! Oh, and the tank is a couple of months old or so. I know alot of people say that's too young, but I promise its parameters are rock stable. I bought really nice equipment, and am paying good, close attention to the husbandry / maintenance.

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back