Pulsing brittle star disk?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Poot
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Poot

New Member
View Badges
Joined
May 11, 2022
Messages
7
Reaction score
5
Location
Baltimore
What state or country do you live in
Maryland
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last night I noticed unusual behavior from my brittle star. He scurried out from his usual hiding spot and began pulsing separate areas of his disk. If his disk was divided into quarter sections, one quarter appeared to quickly inflate and deflate followed by another. The behavior lasted approximately 20 seconds. I didn’t see any other reef inhabitants bothering him, though I am concerned this behavior might be a stress response? I’m also wondering if it could be associated with hunger/starvation? Since I was concerned about him not receiving enough microalgae to graze on, I supplement by target feeding him about 3 or 4 hefty arm fills of Hikari Mega Marine or other frozen food every day. I also tie seaweed sheets to rocks for grazing at least 2x per week. Has anyone else observed this behavior and know what it could mean?
 
Last night I noticed unusual behavior from my brittle star. He scurried out from his usual hiding spot and began pulsing separate areas of his disk. If his disk was divided into quarter sections, one quarter appeared to quickly inflate and deflate followed by another. The behavior lasted approximately 20 seconds. I didn’t see any other reef inhabitants bothering him, though I am concerned this behavior might be a stress response? I’m also wondering if it could be associated with hunger/starvation? Since I was concerned about him not receiving enough microalgae to graze on, I supplement by target feeding him about 3 or 4 hefty arm fills of Hikari Mega Marine or other frozen food every day. I also tie seaweed sheets to rocks for grazing at least 2x per week. Has anyone else observed this behavior and know what it could mean?
Brittle stars are scavengers and like meaty bits.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 1 5.9%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new