Pulsing xenia melted and almost gone

ken840515

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
So I bought pulsing xenia frag and it looks melted down..... after couple of days.
I heard that xenia is one of the easiest coral to keep but I don't know why it happened twice...
Can anybody give me some info?
I have 2 powerheads one on each side (800 GPH per powerhead)
Is it too much flow for 29G tank?
Also have micmol aa600 light but not sure this light is suitable for corals.

And how long does it take for corals to get big and spread?
I have kenya tree, zoanthus, duncan frag for a month or two.
But the size of them just looks the same as before.

Amd what will be the corals that don't need feeding?

Renaissance corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same issue about a month ago where I had the coral placed. My lights were just a bit too intense for it. As soon as I moved it a couple days later it got better.Do you know the intensity of the lights where you got the coral from or where it was placed in the tank?

OP
OP
K

ken840515

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screenshot_20220927-220228_Gallery.jpg

This is what I use but I don't do it much
Is this enough for xenia?

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I know it’s a small tank with “easy” corals, but you definitely want to get some better test kits. The dip strips are not reliable. That aside, soft corals like the ones you’re trying to keep need at least some nitrates in the water. Xenia are pretty easy to keep, as are the other corals you’ve got right now & they don’t need any crazy lighting or tons of flow.
What kind of 29g tank is it? A cube or long tank? Can you post some pictures?

Renaissance corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt anyone on here keeping corals successfully is using test strips.
No idea but those look like they're for something else.
*the pH "OK" range of 6.8-7.6 jumps out -- maybe those are for a pool or something?
Agreed about using test strips. Those strips look like they are some cheap ones off Amazon

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry but seems like you have done no research and totally not prepared. Keeping Corals (and saltwater animals in general) is not easy, please do the research before buying anything more for your tank.
1000% THIS ^^^^

OP
OP
K

ken840515

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the informations.
Any recommendations for the test kits?
Like brand names?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like brand names?
There's a search feature on the forum that might prove helpful to you. Or, BRSTV...

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Like brand names?
Salifert is great and not super expensive. If you’re only keeping softies, you can get away with just buying the RedSea kit that has tests for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, ph and alkalinity. Even API test kits would be better but they’re really not good test kits.
Red Sea Marine Care Multi Test Kit for Marine and Reef Aquariums - Black https://a.co/d/9UNBPdw

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Salifert is great and not super expensive. If you’re only keeping softies, you can get away with just buying the RedSea kit that has tests for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, ph and alkalinity. Even API test kits would be better but they’re really not good test kits.
Red Sea Marine Care Multi Test Kit for Marine and Reef Aquariums - Black https://a.co/d/9UNBPdw
To add to this, and I’m sure we’ve all made it clear to you already, but if your LFS gave you the test results you posted and didn’t say anything to you or give you any advice, I’d probably not continue going there. Or at least don’t rely on them for good advice.
You can certainly get your tank back on track but definitely give it some time and tests before adding anything else. Once you’re sure of your levels, then the folks here can help you with the Xenia issues. Heck, I have so much Xenia that is practically indestructible that I’d be glad to share once you’re ready!

OP
OP
K

ken840515

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To add to this, and I’m sure we’ve all made it clear to you already, but if your LFS gave you the test results you posted and didn’t say anything to you or give you any advice, I’d probably not continue going there. Or at least don’t rely on them for good advice.
You can certainly get your tank back on track but definitely give it some time and tests before adding anything else. Once you’re sure of your levels, then the folks here can help you with the Xenia issues. Heck, I have so much Xenia that is practically indestructible that I’d be glad to share once you’re ready!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 32 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 9.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 25 26.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back