Pump for Tumbling Chaeto

Brandon Rush

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 9, 2017
Messages
1,017
Reaction score
289
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a really small fugium section (9.75″ x 12.5) and want to start tumbling my chaeto. Does anyone know of a power head that's small enough to where it's not getting blasted?
 
PVC pipe and some holes in it.

Yea just looked it up and saw how easy that was. Probably give that a try, gonna be better than sticking a power head in there.
 
A small Sicce pump

Call it a day
 
I used a Neptune PMUP connected to a 3/8" tubing manifold I built from some push-connect fittings. It works great in my small refugium with enough flow to tumble the chaeto without blasting it.

IMG_2755.jpg

IMG_2826.jpg

 
That worked really well. I have never been able to tumble mine either. Prob does grow better I would think.
 
Tumbling chaeto is really overrated (and unnecessary). If you have a setup that can grow chaeto well, eventually you'll have a mass that is big enough that tumbling is impossible to achieve.

If your concern is providing enough light/spread to more of the chaeto, consider mounting a panel to the side as well. I do that myself. I mount two of these panels on two sides of my fuge, but I'm sure a light the top and one of these from a side would work just as well.

I use this light panel mounted to the side of my glass sump with 3M Command Strips. If you have an acrylic sump, you might want to mount with something that will provide a little more space between the sump and panel as acrylic doesn't do well with heat.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M8HJZYU
 
That’s beautiful.

I used a Neptune PMUP connected to a 3/8" tubing manifold I built from some push-connect fittings. It works great in my small refugium with enough flow to tumble the chaeto without blasting it.

IMG_2755.jpg

IMG_2826.jpg

 
I used a Neptune PMUP connected to a 3/8" tubing manifold I built from some push-connect fittings. It works great in my small refugium with enough flow to tumble the chaeto without blasting it.

IMG_2755.jpg


IMG_2826.jpg



This is so cool, where did you get those fittings?
 
Tumbling chaeto is really overrated (and unnecessary). If you have a setup that can grow chaeto well, eventually you'll have a mass that is big enough that tumbling is impossible to achieve.

If your concern is providing enough light/spread to more of the chaeto, consider mounting a panel to the side as well. I do that myself. I mount two of these panels on two sides of my fuge, but I'm sure a light the top and one of these from a side would work just as well.

I use this light panel mounted to the side of my glass sump with 3M Command Strips. If you have an acrylic sump, you might want to mount with something that will provide a little more space between the sump and panel as acrylic doesn't do well with heat.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M8HJZYU
“Tumbling chaeto is really overrated (and unnecessary).“

Kudoes to this “truth bomb”.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.0%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 5.9%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 21 20.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 31 30.7%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 8.9%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 8.9%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 13 12.9%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 6.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new