Pump Placement

TroyClark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a pic of my tank when it was first set up. Now, a year later is much more mature with the BTA's splitting again and I picked up another Rose BTA for a total of 5 BTAs. I have 2 Leather Toadstools which I love and 2 larger Kenya Trees which I also love and around 50 tiny to small Kenya Trees which I hate LOL. There is a pair of Ocellaris Clowns, 2 Blue Chromis, 4 Bangaii Cardinals, a Coral Beauty, a Yellow Tang, a Blue Tang, a Lawnmower Blenny and a Falco Hawkfish.

The return pump is pushing about 800 gallons per hour from a 55 gallon tank converted to a sump and is teed into two return nozzles on the right side of the tank. Tank is a 120 high, 5 ft. long x 18 inches wide x 26 inches deep. I am thinking I need more circulation flow in the tank as I see stuff sitting on the bottom, so I picked up 3 Jebao OW-40 wavemakers and plan on using 2 in this tank. The rockwork is basically the same as in the picture, just now covered in coralline algae and some hair algae.

Where would you more experienced Reefers put the wavemakers to make the best long term results for all the tank inhabitants? Any help and/or comments are appreciated.

Thanks

Troy

Reef Tank.jpg

Last edited:

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Each tank is different so you'll need to experiment. Place, observe, move etc.

I'd start by placing one so as to keep the detritus from settling and another blowing through the rockwork.
Set them up, wait a week, move them around etc.

Takes time and patience.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 72 38.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back