Pump recommendation needed - frag tank

DPRoberts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm setting up a 50 gallon "lowboy" frag tank. Dimensions are 48" long x 24" wide x 10" high. I want to set this up as a "look down" tank for tridacnid clams & corals that are best looked at from above. So, I'd like a pump that circulates the water without disturbing the surface too much. A gyre probably fits that bill, but I hear they're a lot of maintenance. I'm leaning towards the smaller Tunze Wavebox, but those need a few inches of air at the top of the tank, and this tank is very shallow to begin with. Any other ideas?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really don't think gyres are much maintenence. They are easy to clean. Regardless. I really like sicce voyagers since they have guard around them that anemones and what not can't get through. Are you looking for dc or does it not matter?

OP
OP
D

DPRoberts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely want a DC pump. I'm considering buying a smallish Jebao sine wave pump, an acrylic box, and a hole saw to try to make my own wavebox. Maybe $75 in parts compared to a Tunze Wavebox. Is there a good reason NOT to try this?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely want a DC pump. I'm considering buying a smallish Jebao sine wave pump, an acrylic box, and a hole saw to try to make my own wavebox. Maybe $75 in parts compared to a Tunze Wavebox. Is there a good reason NOT to try this?

I have two jebao wavemakers and I like them. However, it appears they can be hit or miss with some people.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back