Pump recommendation?

  • Thread starter Thread starter jgvergo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

jgvergo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 29, 2014
Messages
1,307
Reaction score
1,368
Location
New York
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am designing my first saltwater tank and first sump. DT = 85 gal, Sump = 30 gal, I have 10 feet of head. The sump will be located in a utility room in my basement, so noise is not an issue. I expect I will have at least 4 45 degree couplings on the 1" PVC return line. I'd like to have a least 5x turnover through the sump, so I'm shooting for 450gph after accounting for head and elbows. Recommendations? TIA - John
 
First, not many have had much experience with multiple pump brands. For instance in 1998, I purchased two Iwaki 100RLT pumps. I wanted a back-up. I change them out and clean them about every 6 months. They are noisy but I have a fish room. So if I were looking I would go back to the Iwaki. They make very good pressure pumps. For what you are doing I would look at the Iwaki MD 40 RLXT.

Good Luck
 
I bought a used mag 36 locally for a similar application, basement sump. Your display is a bit bigger, mine is 55 gallons. I have a ball valve on the output throttling down the return as it was too fast, even with it feeding a fuge as well. I think it would work well for your application. It's a bit noisy, but not anything I wouldn't expect from a large pump.

I have about 12 feet of vertical head, plus 4 90 degree elbows and about 8 ft of more horizontal pipe, all 1" class 200 PVC. The horizontal runs are at about a 30 degree angle, mostly for the drains.

I don't have any way to measure GPH from the system, but I would be surprised if it were lower than the 450 you are looking for.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 18.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 47 34.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new