Pump recommendations for basement sump.

Tundra21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan on purchasing a waterbox 180.5 tank in the near future, I would like the sump to be located in the basement. The pump would have to pump 8 ft. vertically and 12 ft. horizontally and would like to achieve between 1200 and 1800 gph. My preference would be an internal pump so I would not have to drill the glass sump, I can use an external pump if need be. Can I get some pump recommendations that could accomplish that.

cmaxwell39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been researching the same thing. Unless you are going to spend serious coin, about the only option out there for an internal pump that would get you close to what you want would be a sicce SDC 9.0. One thing that will help with the flow is to oversize your return line to help to reduce friction losses.

The other internal pumps that I have found that would do this would be the Red Dragon or the Abyzz. I have not found anything else in an internal pump that will deal with that much head pressure.

If you decide to go external there are a lot of choices.

DTE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently in a similar situation, my sump is going to be in the basement.

What do you guys think about the Vectra L2? The specs say its rated for 21.5 ft of Max head height.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since the vast majority of DC pumps are designed for flow rather than pressure, your only economical option is to significantly oversize the pump and use native plumbing. I think for the L1, this means 1 1/2” on the return line. You might get 1,200. Perhaps the larger Jebao could also suffice. Personally I use pressure rated externals like PanWorld or iwaki, though I get that you’d prefer not to grind holes in the sump.

Usctom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a waveline 12000 for a similar situation. It is enough to also feed 2 other frags tanks. Probably not 1200 gph but at least 800gph.

jlts21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it’s feasible I’d definitely go with an external. They are a little bit more reasonable price wise compared to a internal with similar gph and are better suited for pressure/head loss rather than flow in general like an internal. I personally have a panworld 200ps (1750gph) with my basement sump with about 7’ vertical and 3’ horizontal and it works great

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan on purchasing a waterbox 180.5 tank in the near future, I would like the sump to be located in the basement. The pump would have to pump 8 ft. vertically and 12 ft. horizontally and would like to achieve between 1200 and 1800 gph. My preference would be an internal pump so I would not have to drill the glass sump, I can use an external pump if need be. Can I get some pump recommendations that could accomplish that.
I ended up with a Danner MagDrive. Here is their flow chart. you could get away with a 24 and that should work for you.
1577808960270.png

DCR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest you raise your sump up above the basement floor as much as possible to reduce the head requirement on the pump. I would also question if you really need 1200-1800 gph as that is a very large flow for that size tank. You will need 1-1/2" return and I do not see anyway your are going to push 1800 gph through those two restricted return jets. Maybe 1200 but even that will require a lot of extra head. I would definitely remove the flat exit piece.

lavoisier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest you raise your sump up above the basement floor as much as possible to reduce the head requirement on the pump. I would also question if you really need 1200-1800 gph as that is a very large flow for that size tank. You will need 1-1/2" return and I do not see anyway your are going to push 1800 gph through those two restricted return jets. Maybe 1200 but even that will require a lot of extra head. I would definitely remove the flat exit piece.
These are excellent thoughts. Powerheads are the most efficient and effective way to get flow in your tank.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 122 81.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back