Pump with higher flow rate than chiller manufacturer recommends

TonyK_Az

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am installing a JBJ Chiller but just realized that the pump I intended to use (old canister filter repurposing) has a non-adjustable flow that is over double what the chiller requires.
JBJ recommends a flow rate of 110-160gph.
Canister filter has a flow rate of 396gph (1400 l/hr).
I am putting this on a JBJ 65AIO that is almost 90% macroalgae.

I am wondering if anyone has experience with chillers and higher flows than what the manufacturer recommends?

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, you could add a valve before chiller input. Pushing more gph won’t be a problem. Although a bigger pump makes more heat so chiller will be on more to compensate

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It means that the water passes through the coils too quickly and won't be as efficient at cooling. It is not going to break the chiller or anything, but it could run a bit longer when it is on.

DCR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Canister filters produce very low head. Chillers generally need a lot of pressure drop (fluid velocity) to function well. I don't think you can flow too much. They only get more efficient with higher flow rates (better heat transfer). I would be very concerned about a canister driving flow through a chiller. Keep in mind that the rated flow is with no resistance to flow. The actual flow will be much less when you add the chiller to the discharge. Your systems sounds like it is a small system so it may be OK.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Canister filters produce very low head. Chillers generally need a lot of pressure drop (fluid velocity) to function well. I don't think you can flow too much. They only get more efficient with higher flow rates (better heat transfer). I would be very concerned about a canister driving flow through a chiller. Keep in mind that the rated flow is with no resistance to flow. The actual flow will be much less when you add the chiller to the discharge. Your systems sounds like it is a small system so it may be OK.
Agreed
Canister filters don’t need much head because they have siphon on one side. Some can be tricky to get primed, and finicky about how much lower they are in relation to tank. Would think if it runs through chiller on siphon side going down through chiller it would work fine. Would probably get a cheap reliable aqua clear pump instead and call it a day

DCR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed
Canister filters don’t need much head because they have siphon on one side. Some can be tricky to get primed, and finicky about how much lower they are in relation to tank. Would think if it runs through chiller on siphon side going down through chiller it would work fine. Would probably get a cheap reliable aqua clear pump instead and call it a day
It might seem that it would be better on the suction side, but pressure drop has to be overcome by the pump just the same whether it is on the suction or discharge side. Placing it on the suction can be problematic because the canister can operate under negative (sub-atmospheric) pressure and tend to de-gas air from the water or pull in outside air from seals in the system.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you need to, go onto ebay and find a good, cheap relaible pump. I got 5 or 6 slightly used Tunze pumps for $20-50 each shipped and they will last a decade.

You are gonna want to push through a chiller... and have the water exit into the display, not the sump. Temp probe should be in the display too.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.8%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 51 28.7%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 37 20.8%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 21 11.8%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 62 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back