Pumps moving sand

  • Thread starter Thread starter MrDJeep123
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

MrDJeep123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 22, 2012
Messages
1,937
Reaction score
480
Location
Tennessee
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does your Vortech MPs move the sand around?

I have 2 and both are set at low speeds. The issue, sort of, is that it moves the sand around in small quantities. No sand storm, but I was wondering if others have a wandering sand bed in general? It doesn't haven't to be from MPs as to the best of knowledge, it can happen with any pump.
 
I have so much flow in my tanks this seems unavoidable unless I aim them in a foolish way that reduces flow significantly
 
My substrate moves a bit here and there from current, I have my powerheads (3200gph) towards to top of the water column to keep it from creating a big mess.
 
What is a large grain sand that could be used to reduce this problem?
 
I use XFine Crushed Coral, its not as fine as sand is, and not as large as regular crushed coral.
 
Where would you find those for purchase? Also sorry for thread jacking :rolleyes:
 
Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 8.0%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new