Purchased Apex - Lots o Questions

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up a used apex with firmware 4.33 installed, and fusion enabled.

A lot of this will be trial and error, I understand.

At this moment, all I have is a Tunze ATO 3155, my skimmer, 2 finnex titanium heaters (200W) and a Gyre (which we know cannot be controlled by apex yet). My photon lights have their own controller, no need to use the apex for that.

What are some very basic commands that I should be implementing?

I have heater1 on at 78.5, off at 79.0. Heater 2 on at 78.3, off at 78.8.

How do the feed thingers work? The dashboard has Feed A, B, C, D...is it as simple as those are the 4 feeding times for an automatic feeder?

Can I set my skimmer to shut off during a feeding? or tell my ATO and Skimmer to come back on say 5 minutes after my return pump comes on?

Lots o questions. And I'm just scratching the surface of the questions :)

OP
OP
pdiehm

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have the manuals. starting to right some instructions down.

is it necessary to turn off pump and skimmer for feeding?

if I have to, feed A would be, return, skimmer, gyre, and ATO off. Return turns on 5 minutes later. Gyre turns on 10 minutes later, ATO and skimmer 15 minutes later. Feed D is a maintenance program.

I guess the code for say the Return PUmp would be:

Fallback ON
OSC 000:00/005:00/005:00 Then ON
If FeedA 000 Then OFF
If FeedD 025 Then OFF

If I'm understanding, feed A keeps it off for 5 minutes, Feed D for 30.

Gyre:

Fallback ON
If FeedA 005 Then OFF
If FeedD 040 Then OFF

Skimmer, ATO:

Fallback ON
If FeedA 010 Then OFF
If FeedD 040 Then OFF

ksfulk

Working back towards clean
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BulkReefSupply did a 16 or 18 part series on setting up an APEX with youtube videos. Toward the end of the series they did an entire video on basic commands and how to set up each piece of equipment. Ive watched the whole series a few times to help me set up my Apex. It does a really good job walking you through the codes and the "Why you would want to do this" questions that are part of the entire system. You can look it up on youtube, or click below to the link from their site. Once you get the hang of it, the Apex is amazing!

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/video...ex-Aquarium-Controllers-from-Neptune-Systems/

OP
OP
pdiehm

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the web interface hooked up through the router. Even did a firmware update.

Next up is mounting the stuff.

Should I mount the eb8 to the board and store behind the tank? Or mount eb8 in the stand?

ksfulk

Working back towards clean
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mounted mine on a board outside of the stand (then again, I have a fish room). Basically you want to keep it away from the humidity present, as the salty water will corrode and potentially short out those plugs over time. I know some people manage to put a parition or shelf under the stand to section off an area for their electronics - which isnt the best case scenerio, but does keep some of the humidity/water/spray off of those expensive electronics.

OP
OP
pdiehm

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking of getting a small cabinet and putting it behind the aquarium stand. Or I can just get a 24x24 piece of board and lean against the wall behind the stand.

OP
OP
pdiehm

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did, apparently Neptune won't help with the networking. I'm fairly certain that I set it up on the router wrong since I have a dynamic IP. My IP changed in 2 days from 1.6 to 1.4.

Definitely going to have to find someone who knows how to do it, or a more current thread than the one referenced on the networking guide since the router upgrades since 2009 make that thread completely obsolete.

kevinsmixed90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did, apparently Neptune won't help with the networking. I'm fairly certain that I set it up on the router wrong since I have a dynamic IP. My IP changed in 2 days from 1.6 to 1.4.

Definitely going to have to find someone who knows how to do it, or a more current thread than the one referenced on the networking guide since the router upgrades since 2009 make that thread completely obsolete.
I'm very interested in this as I have a dynamic ip system and am unable to get my reeflink to work. always says no internet connection.

OP
OP
pdiehm

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neptune asked me to send my brain back. I am sure if there is a problem it will be a costly fix

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 22.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 65 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 32.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back