Purigen downsides?

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d like to know this myself! I’ve gone on and off purigen a few times and now people aren’t even using filter socks anymore haha so I’m also wondering are they doing more bad then good?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It binds organic matter. I generally don't know of downsides to removing organics except that organics will be lower, so may not be available as foods.

Expense relative to GAC ier perhaps a down side per unit of organic matter removed, but it may remove a slightly different subset of total organic compounds than does GAC, so using them at the same time is also OK.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you believe in the theory that running filter socks removes beneficial bacterial? To the extent that renders filtersocks or mechanical filtration alike counter intuitive? I’m just questioning some things I’ve read about the Triton method at some point when I get a larger tank I will run a similar if not the same method

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you believe in the theory that running filter socks removes beneficial bacterial? To the extent that renders filtersocks or mechanical filtration alike counter intuitive? I’m just questioning some things I’ve read about the Triton method at some point when I get a larger tank I will run a similar if not the same method

Like skimming, mechanical filters will remove bacteria, especially if they are in larger globs or are bound to detritus. They are only really beneficial as a food source for filter feeders. They do not provide important amounts of nitrification or denitrification.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like skimming, mechanical filters will remove bacteria, especially if they are in larger globs or are bound to detritus. They are only really beneficial as a food source for filter feeders. They do not provide important amounts of nitrification or denitrification.
Thank you

OP
OP
pandagobyguy

pandagobyguy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It binds organic matter. I generally don't know of downsides to removing organics except that organics will be lower, so may not be available as foods.

Expense relative to GAC ier perhaps a down side per unit of organic matter removed, but it may remove a slightly different subset of total organic compounds than does GAC, so using them at the same time is also OK.
Thanks for the info as always!
I have been using them both without any thought as to the safety of their mixture. Good to know it isn't doing long term damage (i wouldve experienced short term already XD).

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 25.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 30.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back