Purigen in Nano tank without carbon

cgr124

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, I’m running a 5 month old nano (5.5 gallon)reef tank with soft corals, one goby, and some sexy shrimp and would like an opinion on the best filtration. My water parameters have been stable using Red Sea tests.

nitrite 0
Ammonia 0
Nitrate 3
PH 8
Alk 10dkh
Weekly 20 percent water changes
Salinity 1.025

I’ve been using filter floss, seachem matrix bio rocks, and chemipure blue nano as filtration. I’m considering swapping out the chemipure blue for purigen and curious if that is recommended and if anyone runs a filtration setup like that. I know carbon is typically recommend but I believe the chemipure blue is stripping all the phosphates out and my corals might do better with purigen instead of chemipure as I don’t think that will strip the phosphates.

appreciate any feedback

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chemipure blue = purigen+phosphate remover+carbon

Purigen removes tannins and nitrogenous waste (not ammonia, leaving uric acid (reptiles and birds) and urea and fish do not produce much of that). I honestly don't know how useful purigen is in a reef tank other than possible removing coloration and a tiny bit of nitrogenous waste.

Do you know your phosphate level?

OP
OP
C

cgr124

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply. I don’t know my phosphate level since I don’t have that test yet. Since my tank is only 5 months old and I’ve been doing weekly water changes and changing the chemipure nano packets every 3 weeks, I assume it’s low but I def need to test. I just wasn’t sure if I should stick with chemipure or move to purigen. I’m trying to figure out the best chemical filtration for a soft coral tank. I like that the purigen shows when it needs to be replaced by color vs chemipure. But if purigen isn’t a suitable replacement then maybe it’s best to keep it as is.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back