Carbon Alternatives/Chemical Filtration add nauseam

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hardly original topic (emphasis) and in fact to beat a dead horse with a howitzer on this topic here are a few of the longer threads/most replies, (and I didn't even get past page 2 on most searches). ….not all links tested
Who uses Carbon AND Chemipure Blue in their tanks?
Purigen versus Chemipure elite - Which, neither, another option for skimmerless filtration?
Purigen vs chemipure vs carbon Vs Polyfilter
Seachems claims of Purigen
Chemipure Blue or purigen
Does chemipure blue lower Phosphates
CHEMIPURE BLUE
Matrix, Purigen, Chemipure, or Activated Carbon
Seachem Pristine vs Phosguard vs Purigen?
Purigen???

https://aquariumscience.org/index.php/7-4-chemical-filtration-media/ And a external discussion

Anyway, with all this ICP testing and the new Moonshiners method, there is some relevance here as relates to dosing, additives and the addition/removal of trace elements over/under NSW/toxic levels using IN PLACE water quality media…
Looking for updated methods and opinions (again)…
A few new products have come to my attention and it might also be timely to review older/proven products in comparison, Specifically heavy metal removal and any claimed or real ability to remove color (yellowing), phosphates and nitrates. Opinions, experiences and any input: thanks in advance
- BRS ROX
- Seachems Purigen
- Polyfilter
- Brightwells Purit
And Chemipures Line:

chemipure-guide-NEW.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
Doctorgori

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ipad keeps freezing after adding that picture and for whatever reason could not edit …long story short, what is everyone one using for chemical filtration anymore? and does anything fix ICP related “errors? ?
…again, much hashed topic but searches didn’t give me much….

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a very complex experiment to determine which organics are removed by which organic binding materials, so it is not surprising no such data exists.

I've not even seen any total organic carbon removal comparisons between these products, which is more doable but of less value.

Some of the claims, however, should NOT be accepted. I do not believe that any organic polymer can bind significant phosphate from seawater at the phosphate levels we are typically concerned with (due to too much competition for binding sites from sulfate and chloride). I tried what I believe is the best polymer phosphate binder from other applications, and it did not work in seawater. The claims about ion exchange resins is also misguided when applied to seawater.

OP
OP
Doctorgori

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a very complex experiment to determine which organics are removed by which organic binding materials, so it is not surprising no such data exists.

I've not even seen any total organic carbon removal comparisons between these products, which is more doable but of less value.

Some of the claims, however, should NOT be accepted. I do not believe that any organic polymer can bind significant phosphate from seawater at the phosphate levels we are typically concerned with (due to too much competition for binding sites from sulfate and chloride). I tried what I believe is the best polymer phosphate binder from other applications, and it did not work in seawater. The claims about ion exchange resins is also misguided when applied to seawater.
Appreciate the summary/opinion…
I hesitated to even post this topic after having gone over the zillions of other threads attempting to unpack all the SAME products, claims and results from using these SAME products… :confused:
I got issues with bad tap water, no RO system and need a 2 pt solution that address CO2/low pH and trace elements, AND all at once and somehow w/o a dozen dosing heads or 100 bottles of crap/elixirs, et
….and going over the numerous post; this is acommon issue….apparently …
BTW, thanks for all the replies and the new high pH 2pt… Wish BRS would pick this up

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 88 57.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.2%
Back