Seachems claims of Purigen

jft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently starting to consider using or trying purigen. I know its very popular but wild claims of 500x more removal of Organics? Thats a wild one or am I missing something? Rox carbon or any high grade carbon is also going to remove Heavy metals which to my knowledge purigen does not. In review of the companies calims I believe this is ONLY Marketing hype.I know some use purigen with chemipure blue but isn t that just overkill? I would like your experience and constructive input and thoughts. Not bashing just constructive input.

liddojunior

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does work. But not the way you would think, it doesn’t bind directly to nitrates. It’s basically a really good water polisher.
If you use a protein skimmer you can see all the skimmate that got removed. Purigen binds to that stuff and when you take the purigen out to clean it, you are removing what would have turned to nitrate.
Its just a resin that works similar to carbon and a filter floss but is reusable
Edit: Don’t think it removes that much heavy metals.

OP
OP
J

jft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does work. But not the way you would think, it doesn’t bind directly to nitrates. It’s basically a really good water polisher.
If you use a protein skimmer you can see all the skimmate that got removed. Purigen binds to that stuff and when you take the purigen out to clean it, you are removing what would have turned to nitrate.
Its just a resin that works similar to carbon and a filter floss but is reusable
Edit: Don’t think it removes that much heavy metals.
Yes BUT IS IT Really better than carbon or chemipure? Yes you can rengerate but is the time invested really worth it? Seachem should offer a bonafide reactor JUST for Purigen, They don t after many years on the market:, they have a me too reactor for carbon or PO4 remover.I just don t see How is it better than carbon especially as I do with 2 large tanks , Carbon seems easier to use just my two cents, thanks for ur input.

liddojunior

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes BUT IS IT Really better than carbon or chemipure? Yes you can rengerate but is the time invested really worth it? Seachem should offer a bonafide reactor JUST for Purigen, They don t after many years on the market:, they have a me too reactor for carbon or PO4 remover.I just don t see How is it better than carbon especially as I do with 2 large tanks , Carbon seems easier to use just my two cents, thanks for ur input.
No it’s not support to replace or be better than carbon. It has its own uses and it’s more of a preference and tool to be used. Basically just adds water clarity/quality tool options.

OP
OP
J

jft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No it’s not support to replace or be better than carbon. It has its own uses and it’s more of a preference and tool to be used. Basically just adds water clarity/quality tool options.
Can you be more specific What does it REMOVE that Carbon Doesnt and 500x more removal of organics come on?

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you be more specific What does it REMOVE that Carbon Doesnt and 500x more removal of organics come on?

I think the biggest thing to look at is that Seachem does NOT claim 500x better removal of organic compounds, it claims 500%, which is 5x better removal.
Screenshot_20230415_081915_Chrome.jpg

OP
OP
J

jft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the biggest thing to look at is that Seachem does NOT claim 500x better removal of organic compounds, it claims 500%, which is 5x better removal.
Screenshot_20230415_081915_Chrome.jpg
But it removes the same things as Carbon Just better but as anyone really proven that?

aSaltyKlown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take a look at this THREAD. They are different products that do separate things. One is not inherently better than the other.

Here a video as well.

OP
OP
J

jft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all your input. But my problem is THAT ALOT of Companies make exorbitant claims and then HURTS the Hobby when they DON T live up to their Claims. The aquarium Hobby has a Hard enough time retaining and interesting the younger generation with the strong interest in social media and electronic games etc. I know thatalot of companies other then the aquarium industry make similar claims but I Truly Believe we would ALL be better served by products that do Have true Bonafid Scientific Data Not just some ones words or TRUE Believer cLaims. Just a Thought stick what works for you. I will just continue to use Good carbon.

Privateye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the main selling points of Purigen is that it's not carbon. It hasn't been shown to cause head and lateral line disease like carbon has. It also tends to turn different colors depending on what it removes. Not exactly an indicator like on a Polypad, but I'd speculate in functions closer to that than to carbon. Purigen is more reusable than carbon too. Or at least far easier to reuse.

You're just not going to find a lot of scientific data from a private chemical company in an industry where ingredients don't need to be disclosed. Not just the aquarium industry. These companies do lots of testing but they keep the data for their own competitive advantage. It would suck to spend lots of money on research just for another company to copy the product without this investment. What we could see is hobbyists conduct studies but they won't really say what in the product is doing this. BRS tends to do studies like these, which are definitely helpful to the community.

I know a former R&D person from Seachem. They really do put a lot of care into their products. I don't think you'll find anyone here that thinks Purigen doesn't pull stuff out. Comparing performance to carbon though, is fair to question. It may even depend on the carbon type/shape they used.

My issue with Seachem is how they treat their workers. It's something I sometimes consider when purchasing, but you know. I'm probably still going to buy Prime when I need a water conditioner. Just my 2 cents.

OP
OP
J

jft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the main selling points of Purigen is that it's not carbon. It hasn't been shown to cause head and lateral line disease like carbon has. It also tends to turn different colors depending on what it removes. Not exactly an indicator like on a Polypad, but I'd speculate in functions closer to that than to carbon. Purigen is more reusable than carbon too. Or at least far easier to reuse.

You're just not going to find a lot of scientific data from a private chemical company in an industry where ingredients don't need to be disclosed. Not just the aquarium industry. These companies do lots of testing but they keep the data for their own competitive advantage. It would suck to spend lots of money on research just for another company to copy the product without this investment. What we could see is hobbyists conduct studies but they won't really say what in the product is doing this. BRS tends to do studies like these, which are definitely helpful to the community.

I know a former R&D person from Seachem. They really do put a lot of care into their products. I don't think you'll find anyone here that thinks Purigen doesn't pull stuff out. Comparing performance to carbon though, is fair to question. It may even depend on the carbon type/shape they used.

My issue with Seachem is how they treat their workers. It's something I sometimes consider when purchasing, but you know. I'm probably still going to buy Prime when I need a water conditioner. Just my 2 cents.
Ok thanks I guess they dont treat their workers wellThen sorry to hear that. I tried last week 3x to call seachem and No one picked up the phone. I will probally stick with carbon Rox .8 or chemipure blue, Thanks for your input.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never seen a whole lot of discoloration on purigen when using with a skimmer, I don’t have any better way of telling how well it’s working aside from the media changing colors, however in non skimmed tanks like my small AIO and especially freshwater it clearly turns brown and I regenerate it.

not very scientific but it’s clearly bonding something from the water in those cases.

liddojunior

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems you had your mind made up on your opinion. And misunderstood the product.
It doesn’t do anything carbon doesn’t or better. It just does better probably gram to gram. It’s rechargeable and also catch’s tons of smaller particles. Purigen is good. It’s purpose is to be a synthetic resin to aid your mechanical filtration. It’s not chemical filtration, just like a skimmer

liddojunior

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never seen a whole lot of discoloration on purigen when using with a skimmer, I don’t have any better way of telling how well it’s working aside from the media changing colors, however in non skimmed tanks like my small AIO and especially freshwater it clearly turns brown and I regenerate it.

not very scientific but it’s clearly bonding something from the water in those cases.
Yeah same experience here. It basically just grabbing protein and fatty waste. So stuff your sponge wouldn’t catch. My pea puffer tank which has lots of live food being eaten 2 purigen bags during dark brown in a few days.
if you had wood it also really good at removing tannins without having carbon making your live plants suffer

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks I guess they dont treat their workers wellThen sorry to hear that. I tried last week 3x to call seachem and No one picked up the phone. I will probally stick with carbon Rox .8 or chemipure blue, Thanks for your input.
Chemipure blue contains an organic absorption resin, like purigen, along with carbon and GFO. It's basically the same as using carbon, purigen and GFO at once.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah same experience here. It basically just grabbing protein and fatty waste. So stuff your sponge wouldn’t catch. My pea puffer tank which has lots of live food being eaten 2 purigen bags during dark brown in a few days.
if you had wood it also really good at removing tannins without having carbon making your live plants suffer
I can vouch for that too, the removing of tannins in fw. While I’m not 100% sold on it for sw with skimmer it’s amazing in fw. My old 180 discus tank I used quite a lot and recharged when discolored, generally monthly and that was in addition to 30% daily ro water changes.
IMG_1167.jpeg

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can vouch for that too, the removing of tannins in fw. While I’m not 100% sold on it for sw with skimmer it’s amazing in fw. My old 180 discus tank I used quite a lot and recharged when discolored, generally monthly and that was in addition to 30% daily ro water changes.
IMG_1167.jpeg
That looks fantastic. Well done.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purigen is too fine for a reactor...

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 10 37.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back