Seachems claims of Purigen

liddojunior

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could use the foam pads BRS sells and use it, would make it much more efficient
That would make it a huge pain to have to recharge. You’d have to bleach all the resin and really wash it. It’s not cheap and disposable. A reactor is just more problems than just a bag of it.
I can vouch for that too, the removing of tannins in fw. While I’m not 100% sold on it for sw with skimmer it’s amazing in fw. My old 180 discus tank I used quite a lot and recharged when discolored, generally monthly and that was in addition to 30% daily ro water changes.
IMG_1167.jpeg

Yeah I find it way more valuable for freshwater than in saltwater. I think it’s still beneficial. If you cant run carbon but want purigen running.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But it removes the same things as Carbon Just better but as anyone really proven that?

It won’t remove the exact same set of organics. Both Purigen and GAC will only remove a subset of total organics, and while organics are removed by both, same may be removed by only one of them.

I’d be very wary of any Seachem claim as they never provide evidence of things they say, and any 500% claim may be in a very peculiar scenario not reflective of real reef usage.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chemipure blue contains an organic absorption resin, like purigen, along with carbon and GFO. It's basically the same as using carbon, purigen and GFO at once.

The blue does not contain GFO as I understand it, and won’t directly bind phosphate despite the claims. The elite does contain GFO.

The phosphate binding resin won’t likely work in seawater.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It won’t remove the exact same set of organics. Both Purigen and GAC will only remove a subset of total organics, and while organics are removed by both, same may be removed by only one of them.

I’d be very wary of any Seachem claim as they never provide evidence of things they say, and any 500% claim may be in a very peculiar scenario not reflective of real reef usage.
I think there 500% claim is against other comparable ion exchange resins. I didn’t think ion exchange resins were at all effective in salt water, tbh. 5 x nowt is not a lot, in my book.

OP
OP
J

jft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think there 500% claim is against other comparable ion exchange resins. I didn’t think ion exchange resins were at all effective in salt water, tbh. 5 x nowt is not a lot, in my book.
So Randy you recommend Both Chemipure blue and elite in conjunction for total coverage correct?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So Randy you recommend Both Chemipure blue and elite in conjunction for total coverage correct?

I used GFO and GAC (ROX 0.8).

I’ve never used a Chemipure. They likely work fine, but I do not want to support the Boyd company because it is my personal opinion that they mislead users of what their products accomplish and what they contain.

OP
OP
J

jft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used GFO and GAC (ROX 0.8).

I’ve never used a Chemipure. They likely work fine, but I do not want to support the Boyd company because it is my personal opinion that they mislead users of what their products accomplish and what they contain.
Thank you but don t alot of companies in this hobby make exorbitant claims for their products LOL . Just look at the supplement side Amazing that I never used one supplement in many years and I do not see a problem with any of the animals. thanks for your chemical expertise, very much appreciated.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you but don t alot of companies in this hobby make exorbitant claims for their products LOL . Just look at the supplement side Amazing that I never used one supplement in many years and I do not see a problem with any of the animals. thanks for your chemical expertise, very much appreciated.

While there are many companies that exaggerate claims, and a variety of companies that I will not use for that reason, I'm talking about what I personally believe is information intended to deceive.

"Great growth of red purple and green corals" is what I consider to be typical fluff that has little basis in reality that many companies claim. Irritating, but apparently the norm for the industry, although the best companies do not do that. the number of chemical companies for hobbyists that I respect is short enough to count on one hand.

But product claims such as "binds X" when it fact it does not usefully bind X in seawater, is IMO, over the line.

Product composition claims also often cross the line from a generic description of a product mechanism to pseudoscience intended to sound impressive with NO intelligible info conveyed also crosses the line, especially if the product does not actually do what it claims. A variety of Boyd, Brightwell and Seachem products fall into this category for me, and I won't support them.

As just one amazing example, Brightwell sells hydroxide in Balance pH+ as a way to boost pH and not alk (false), while in a different product they sell hydroxide to maintain alkalinity (kalkwasser, calcium hydroxide). Amazing that hydroxide can be so versatile. lol

"Boost pH+ High Range pH Increaser, raises pH only without increasing alkalinity or calcium (in tanks already having a proper dKH)"
"Warning: Contains caustic sodium and potassium hydroxides "

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your reply. Having said that what companies products then are reliable to support.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your reply. Having said that what companies products then are reliable to support.

While I cannot claim to have investigated every product from every company, I have confidence in the chemistry knowledge of ESV and Tropic Marin based on both their claims and discussions with folks from those companies.

In many cases, I think that appropriately designed DIY products can carry purity assurances that hobby products often lack, and at a lower price.

OP
OP
J

jft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I cannot claim to have investigated every product from every company, I have confidence in the chemistry knowledge of ESV and Tropic Marin based on both their claims and discussions with folks from those companies.

In many cases, I think that appropriately designed DIY products can carry purity assurances that hobby products often lack, and at a lower price.
Thank you. I will check both of them out. I actually was Thinking of trying ESV carbon next time I need carbon, Thanks.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 15.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 82 48.5%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 52 30.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back