nycfreshreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope everyone is doing well , just wanted to get your opinions. I took a very long break from the hobby and recently got back in about a year ago.

since then , I have spent nearly 5 figures with a large/popular company that is supposedly quarantining their corals in an attempt to be pest free

Recently bought close to $1,000 frag that can covered in vermatids (counter and removed over 2 dozen of them) in addition it had other hitchhikers (3 bivalves) & some of the more common ones that aren’t really pests so to say like bristle worms and asterinas (don’t see an issue with these last two)

The frag also had a spot on the skeleton that was covered with Dino’s (microscope confirmed)

To say the least I am really not satisfied with the frag , especially for paying such a premium and for spending so much money at this place which is supposed to be all about quarantining , aquaculture , and pest free systems , etc

I am just wondering if this is acceptable in the hobby these days (or if I should give this company a call to voice my dissatisfaction)

I really don’t know , this hobby was the Wild West when I was last active nearly 2 decades ago

Would greatly appreciate your input here

Thanks you

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I would let them know about the issue if you’re dissatisfied or just not happy with the items you received. Who knows, they may have an issue they are unaware of. As a rule of thumb for me, it doesn’t matter where I get corals, I always dip them with no exceptions. Sorry to hear your experience wasn’t a good one.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back