Purigen???

Natadactyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering if anyone uses Purigen in their filtration and what their opinion about it is!!! Been using Prime daily till my cycle is done to detoxify my ammonia, nitrate and nitrite because my lobster is in there but considering it for the future!!! Thoughts???

OP
OP
Natadactyl

Natadactyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
why are you using prime daily? this seems concerning. I get it if you are playing fast and loose and just using tap and then using prime to condition it. But I would definitely not use prime to help keep ammonia down...
Im using it because i was overfeeding my lobster and the bioload was to big! Did a huge water change but because i have a newer tank i dont think i had enough beneficial bacteria built up yet! Ive only been using the prime for less then a week to help keep number low till my tank cycles out again! My tank guy said im triggered another cycle which is common in new tanks! Was a rookie mistake! In my research i was reading about purigen and wanted some feedback!

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know about others, I only keep prime around as a emergency (severe amonnia spikes).

How big is the tank, is the important question. That will tell everyone what may be the best way to keep amonnia down.

Purigen works, but it's a bit on the passive side imho at removing impurities.

OP
OP
Natadactyl

Natadactyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is 75 gallons! Did a massive water change! Added some beneficial bacteria and have been waiting! Ammonia has dropped from 1.75 to 0.5 which is awesome and now nitrites are super high and nitrates climbing slowly! Gonna do another 10% water change tommorow to keep my nitrates alittle lower! When my nitrites and ammonia reach zero im gonna do another big water change to lower my nitrates!!! The prime is so my poor lobster doesnt suffer from the high levels during the cycle!!

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I run purigen 24/7 on our reef tank. I think it helps with nitrates but your best friend for that will be water changes :) Best of luck

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you got this then. Knowing the tank size, just keep up on water changes and beneficial bacteria. Do you have a LFS or a fellow reefer. I prefer live rock to season a tank over bottled lightning (beneficial bac). I usually use both.

OP
OP
Natadactyl

Natadactyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run purigen 24/7 on our reef tank. I think it helps with nitrates but your best friend for that will be water changes :) Best of luck
Oh yes ive been very diligent about keeping up with my tank so far! I was just spoiling Larry my lobster alittle to much!!
Like i said rookie mistake! Lol! I caught it fast and ran out the door for prime so Larry wasnt suffering!!! Hes a very lively lobster so he's been ok!!! No ill effects so the prime def works!!! Thank god lol

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
We've all been there, maybe not the lobster part lol :) Once feeding & nutrients are under control I think purigen & chemipure elite make a good combo for water quality and helping with nutrients

OP
OP
Natadactyl

Natadactyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you got this then. Knowing the tank size, just keep up on water changes and beneficial bacteria. Do you have a LFS or a fellow reefer. I prefer live rock to season a tank over bottled lightning (beneficial bac). I usually use both.
I def have live rock in his tank...made him a little cave out of it! Lol Hes in his cave u just can't see him blending in lol!!

Attachments

• Snapchat-794876525.jpg
    Snapchat-794876525.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 89

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Btw. I think its awesome you're giving this guy a good life :)

OP
OP
Natadactyl

Natadactyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We've all been there, maybe not the lobster part lol :) Once feeding & nutrients are under control I think purigen & chemipure elite make a good combo for water quality and helping with nutrients
Yeah i def think im gonna use purigen for my guy!!! This is all a constant learning process!!! Very challenging sometimes but worth it!!! Just want that darn lobster happy lol! Thanks for yhe help!!!

TnFishwater98

Drink more fishwater there! And I still want more!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah i def think im gonna use purigen for my guy!!! This is all a constant learning process!!! Very challenging sometimes but worth it!!! Just want that darn lobster happy lol! Thanks for yhe help!!!
Purigen works well, just put it in your filter. When it turns brown ish you can supposedly refresh it. I’ve always tossed and got another. I think @Lbrdsoxfan was mentioning real live rock from the gulf to help boost the tank.

OP
OP
Natadactyl

Natadactyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purigen works well, just put it in your filter. When it turns brown ish you can supposedly refresh it. I’ve always tossed and got another. I think @Lbrdsoxfan was mentioning real live rock from the gulf to help boost the tank.
Yeah i saw apparently u can recharge it with bleach! No thanks lol! Sounds like disaster waiting to happen lol! Where in your filter do you put it??? I have a cannister fluval filter with biosponge in bottom, biomax in 2nd chamber and carbon and filter floss in top one!!

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gulf rock works but it's expensive, lol. A few LFS stores here near me keep a live rock tank that's seeded from Fiji, Baja or Florida gulf rock. 3 bucks a pound and you get the majority of the regional ocean bac seeding without the issues of hitchhikers.

Should of been more clear, but I don't walk and chew gum well.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah i saw apparently u can recharge it with bleach! No thanks lol! Sounds like disaster waiting to happen lol! Where in your filter do you put it??? I have a cannister fluval filter with biosponge in bottom, biomax in 2nd chamber and carbon and filter floss in top one!!
You can either bag it and stuff it in one of the canister chambers or bag it and hang it over the rim of the tank.

OP
OP
Natadactyl

Natadactyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gulf rock works but it's expensive, lol. A few LFS stores here near me keep a live rock tank that's seeded from Fiji, Baja or Florida gulf rock. 3 bucks a pound and you get the majority of the regional ocean bac seeding without the issues of hitchhikers.

Should of been more clear, but I don't walk and chew gum well.
Yeah i wish i had that kind of access to marine stuff! Live in northern Canada and luckily i do a saltwater fish store here but ready live rock is 25.99 a pound lol!! I just bought 2 pieces and was almost 150!! Dry live rock goes for 17.99 but i was impatient lol

OP
OP
Natadactyl

Natadactyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can either bag it and stuff it in one of the canister chambers or bag it and hang it over the rim of the tank.
Yeah hanging it over the tank doesn't sound like it will be visially appealing lol! Im a chick and prettiness matters in my tank lol! Im gonna put it in with my carbon!! :)

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the last picture you posted above .

ammonia needs bacteria .
But to have enough bacteria to process the ammonia produced by such a large bio load ….
I would consider adding more live rock .
The need to dose prime and triggering a ammonia spike ( cycle again) is a sign that something isn’t enough to keep up with demand .

I don’t see purigen a issue but instead of masking the symptoms , resolving the issue so it doesn’t repeat .

until ammonia is back at zero I would preform daily water changes , increase the surface area with live rocks to allow more Beneficial bacteria to colonize .
which will only increase the amount of ammonia it can process .

OP
OP
Natadactyl

Natadactyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the last picture you posted above .

ammonia needs bacteria .
But to have enough bacteria to process the ammonia produced by such a large bio load ….
I would consider adding more live rock .
The need to dose prime and triggering a ammonia spike ( cycle again) is a sign that something isn’t enough to keep up with demand .

I don’t see purigen a issue but instead of masking the symptoms , resolving the issue so it doesn’t repeat .

until ammonia is back at zero I would preform daily water changes , increase the surface area with live rocks to allow more Beneficial bacteria to colonize .
which will only increase the amount of ammonia it can process .
Yes i agree! Ive added more beneficial bacteria and am going to get more live rock! I was told to do a water change every few days of 10% because i did a massive one on thurs! The purigen is only gonna be after i get the problem fixed not to mask it now and the prime is to keep the toxicity from hurting larry while i wait for this process to play out!!! I wish i hadnt made this mistake to begin with lol! Wont be making it again!! Thank for the advice! I appreciate any help i can get!!

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 15.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 82 48.5%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 52 30.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back