Purigen ?'s

nanojosh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anybody use purigen by Seachem in there systems , if so is it a good nitrate reducer, and does it have to be run through a reactor? I have had a nitrate problem in my 55 since I set the tank up in Feb. I have a ETSS skimmer that's rated for 250 gal and I've cut back my feedings to every other day. I have a small yellow tang small juvie lionfish a couple black swallowtail damsels and two small maroon clowns I keep the skimmer free from detritus and don't use filter sock unless I'm blowing off the rocks. I've been reading the 80+ page thread on remote deep sand bed bucket in RC so that will be my next venture if I cant find a good filter media besides Chemipure elite which I use now and love I never have Po4 I just cant get my nitrates below 40-80. Please if anyone knows a good filter media that doesn't require a reactor its much appreciated. Happy Reefing !:frusty:

Raymondzmarshall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purigen is one of my favorite media choices ... Ill throw 3 bags in the sump and the water quality is amazing
Purigen and uv sterilizer are my 2 top choices for water awesomeness besides water changes of course !!!
Cannot go wrong with purigen !!!
Look into sterilizer as well

OP
OP
nanojosh

nanojosh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet thank you Raymond doesn't the UV kill beneficial organisms too. Im not sure I understand the mechanics of a UV sterilizer. Thanks for the input !!

OP
OP
nanojosh

nanojosh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carbon dosing will reduce nitrates really well. Vinegar,vodka, or biopellets
I was just reading a thread where someone had great results using the vodka method Ill have to do some reading and see if this would be good for my system.

Mr. D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're considering carbon dosing, you may want to consider biopellets before any other method. It doesn't require your daily, detailed attention as others might. Atleast, that is my current understanding.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
nanojosh

nanojosh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I use rodi only. Do u mean people actually don't use atleast Ro in some cases wow that's crazy.

55 gal mixed reef 10 gal SPS Dom.
10 gal nem tank 2 maxi minis 2 rock flower and one sunburst RBTA

Sent from some device using some app

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use purigen and it works great!

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP
12g Nanoreef. Zooanthids, Ricordia, Star Polyps, Acans and two clownfish. CF Lighting, 75% actinic blue, 25% 10,000k white.

KSzegi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried purigen and didn't have any luck with it at all. Nitrates weren't excessive ran about 20, but wanted to try dropping them and I couldn't get them to budge with it. Am now running biopellets and my nitrates test at zero.

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out Redsea Nopox for carbon dosing. Also they have great educational videos on there page. Redseafish.com

OP
OP
nanojosh

nanojosh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I guess I'll try that how often do you have to change the media in a bio pellet reactor and which is your favorite brand of biopellets?

OP
OP
nanojosh

nanojosh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out Redsea Nopox for carbon dosing. Also they have great educational videos on there page. Redseafish.com

Cool thanks mike I love this forum so many people willing to answer threads. Thanks everybody. Ill keep y'all updated on how it goes. I have a ten gallon nem tank with about 6 gallons of water volume in the sump and a 55 with a 20 gal sump 15 water volume and I'm getting ready to plump a 29 gal display fuge into tht system so ill try the biopellets on the nem tank first.

spscrazy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the red sea no3po4x been using it for about a year now my nitrates were always running about 20ppm tried a bunch of other stuff but this was the only one that worked easy to use in your top off water

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seachem Matrix is also supposed to be good. I'm removing my bioballs and am going to replace them with this after several recommendations.

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP
12g Nanoreef. Zooanthids, Ricordia, Star Polyps, Acans and two clownfish. CF Lighting, 75% actinic blue, 25% 10,000k white.

shaft

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I guess I'll try that how often do you have to change the media in a bio pellet reactor and which is your favorite brand of biopellets?

You never replace the biopellets, as they are a carbon source for bacteria. The bacteria consume the bp's and the nitrates in the water flowing through the reactor.
All you do is add more every couple months.
If you do decide to use bp's I strongly suggest you get a reactor designed for biopellets like the aquamaxx biomax reactor. And only start with a half the recommended amount and slowly add more.
If use the full amount at the begining you will get a bacteria bloom that could potentialy crash the tank. Just follow the derections on the bag and you will be fine.
I currently run them on my 100g and have no measureable nh4. I use npx bioplastics amd I have friends that run Dr Tims bp's
Gl,
Jim

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 56 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back