Purple Firefish - Adding Another

William Morris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one Purple Firefish that is about 2-1/2" long.
Well established in my 32gal Biocube - bought it about 5 months ago.
Don't know if it's a male or female.
Was thinking of adding two more Firefish.

Good or bad idea?

BoBoBREWSKI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My two firefish (regular and purple) get along just fine in my 13.5 gallon tank. They ignore each other.

BoBoBREWSKI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another month has gone by and my two firefish are still getting along fine. I've never seen them be aggressive towards each other yet. They pretty much ignore each other. They seem to have established their own territory. The purple firefish mostly stays on the right side and the regular firefish mostly stays on the left side of the tank. They both go all over the tank when its feeding time.

BoBoBREWSKI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update - Both my firefish (purple and regular) still get along fine, never battle. In fact, they seem to get along better, they swim together/next to each other more and more.

I bought a Royal Gramma a few days ago and today I found him dead. Looks like his rear fin has been bitten off. Do you think one of my firefish did it? Maybe they are trying to protect their caves that the Royal Gramma was hanging out in? The only other fish I have is a small blue/green chromis.

jsc2087

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a purple and a regular fire fish (with two clowns) in a 65 gallon for about a year now, I have not had any trouble. I know my tank is twice the size of the biocube, so i don't know if this is any help, but I just figured I would share my positive experience.

suta42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope. I've had them 5 months. 1 month to go until your "let us know past 6 months". ;)

I realise eatbreakfast’s reply may have sounded pretty black and white, but unfortunately many of us who have tried this long term ie over a few years, have experienced exactly that.

I had a pair of CI helfrich for about six years. They were large adults at time of purchase, shared a bolt hole from day 1, and were never more than 4-6” apart in open water.

Had these been juveniles I would have been nervous for the first year. Why you ask? Young individuals don’t seem to have punch ups that adults do and often share a hole. Plenty of anecdotes about sexually mature individuals turning on a weaker individual. In the process the loser can have a fatal injury eg broken jaw... pretty crappy outcome for the fish.

Just something to keep in mind.

Hope that helps.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I realise eatbreakfast’s reply may have sounded pretty black and white, but unfortunately many of us who have tried this long term ie over a few years, have experienced exactly that.

I had a pair of CI helfrich for about six years. They were large adults at time of purchase, shared a bolt hole from day 1, and were never more than 4-6” apart in open water.

Had these been juveniles I would have been nervous for the first year. Why you ask? Young individuals don’t seem to have punch ups that adults do and often share a hole. Plenty of anecdotes about sexually mature individuals turning on a weaker individual. In the process the loser can have a fatal injury eg broken jaw... pretty crappy outcome for the fish.

Just something to keep in mind.

Hope that helps.

Yea I have tried long time ago and no go..

It is possible with a pair or possibly a large tank but I have seen very few cases where it works out long term..

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bad idea. Firefish are intolerant of conspecifics in captivity, unless they are a bonded pr.

Agreed and in a 32 cube there isn't enough room for them to get away from each other. It's made worse by the fact that his current one has been established for several months and will view any new firefish as a threat/competition.

BoBoBREWSKI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any thoughts on this?
I bought a Royal Gramma a few days ago and today I found him dead. Looks like his rear fin has been bitten off. Do you think one of my firefish did it? Maybe they are trying to protect their caves that the Royal Gramma was hanging out in? The only other fish I have is a small blue/green chromis.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to say if it was the Chromis or Firefish that did it. Firefish are generally considered among the most cowardly fish in the hobby, but there have been some rare examples of them being super fiesty/aggressive. Chromis have been known to be aggressive, but usually it's just to each other.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Any thoughts on this?

No way it was a firefish they are one of the most peaceful fish. My RG pounds on my firefish.
Chromis can be mean but I doubt it was him too.

Back