Purple firefish white moving spots. Help!

Recif

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just recently purchased a a purple firefish who shipped to our local reef store with bite wounds from another fish. He's been in my tank for about a week. I noticed he has white moving spots on his body around his wounds. Could this be a disease or damaged scales from the fish attack. Stress? Water parameters are normal. Tried to take a good photo but..fish. Looked up ich and other parasites, but they don't seem to be fitting the bill. He currently eats and moves about normally. No rubbing against rock or thrashing.
IMG_20210920_094523639.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just recently purchased a a purple firefish who shipped to our local reef store with bite wounds from another fish. He's been in my tank for about a week. I noticed he has white moving spots on his body around his wounds. Could this be a disease or damaged scales from the fish attack. Stress? Water parameters are normal. Tried to take a good photo but..fish. Looked up ich and other parasites, but they don't seem to be fitting the bill. He currently eats and moves about normally. No rubbing against rock or thrashing.
IMG_20210920_094523639.jpg
I can’t see the spots in the photo. Sometimes a short video taken under white light works better.
When you say the spots are moving, do you mean that each day their numbers and location change or do you mean you can actually see them move in real time?
Jay

OP
OP
Recif

Recif

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t see the spots in the photo. Sometimes a short video taken under white light works better.
When you say the spots are moving, do you mean that each day their numbers and location change or do you mean you can actually see them move in real time?
Jay
I'll try to take a video when the lights brighten a bit. The spots don't change location, but they appear to ripple on the surface of his skin. They change direction, and at times appear not completely attached. The majority is towards the tail where he suffered some bites from an aggressive fish before I got him.

OP
OP
Recif

Recif

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll try to take a video when the lights brighten a bit. The spots don't change location, but they appear to ripple on the surface of his skin. They change direction, and at times appear not completely attached. The majority is towards the tail where he suffered some bites from an aggressive fish before I got him.
Posted a video below. Watching him now, and it looks almost like they move under his skin.

OP
OP
Recif

Recif

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's kinda hiding out in the rock now. Not the most active.

OP
OP
Recif

Recif

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oops meant to post that last one sooner. Update: attempted a short fresh water dip. Confirmed it was flatworms. Put the fish back in QT and he did the dance of the death. Likely from shock. Cured the worms, killed the fish. RIP Yeet Skeet. You will be missed though you were only with us for a short time.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 20.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 11 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 38 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.6%
Back