Purple Linckia Starfish?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Aspect
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Aspect

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 8, 2022
Messages
1,578
Reaction score
846
Location
USA
What state or country do you live in
Ohio
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Anyone know where I can find a Purple Linckia Starfish (Linckia teres)? I've had a Blue Linckia for about a year but my tank is too large and I need another. Thanks if anyone can help.
 
Anyone know where I can find a Purple Linckia Starfish (Linckia teres)? I've had a Blue Linckia for about a year but my tank is too large and I need another. Thanks if anyone can help.
The only place I can find that offers "Linckia teres" currently has very few reviews that I can find, and all of them are terrible.

That said, Linckia teres is not a valid taxonomic name, and the actual species in question is likely either Linckia columbiae (also inaccurately known as Tamaria stria) or Echinaster luzonicus (the purple coloration isn't necessarily common for either species).

L. columbiae seems to be out of stock everywhere at the moment (it may be a seasonal thing, I'm not sure), but E. luzonicus can be found from a number of different places, including a few that are reported to be more reputable:
https://seahorsesavvy.com/collections/starfish/products/neon-orange-luzon-starfishhttps://pacificeastaquaculture.com/products/burgandy-starfish
Edit: to be clearer for future readers, I should have said "The only place I can find that currently offers "Linckia teres" (i.e. that claims to have them in stock)"

Edit 2: I found one starfish that may be another candidate for this - Leiaster teres. [Edit 3: Leiaster teres is coldwater/temperate, but other Leiaster species are tropical and may be this color as well.]
 
Last edited:
The only place I can find that offers "Linckia teres" currently has very few reviews that I can find, and all of them are terrible.

That said, Linckia teres is not a valid taxonomic name, and the actual species in question is likely either Linckia columbiae (also inaccurately known as Tamaria stria) or Echinaster luzonicus (the purple coloration isn't necessarily common for either species).

L. columbiae seems to be out of stock everywhere at the moment (it may be a seasonal thing, I'm not sure), but E. luzonicus can be found from a number of different places, including a few that are reported to be more reputable:
https://seahorsesavvy.com/collections/starfish/products/neon-orange-luzon-starfishhttps://pacificeastaquaculture.com/products/burgandy-starfish
https://www.liveaquaria.com/product/1399/?pcatid=1399This is the starfish I am referring to.
 
Yeah, as mentioned, it's actually either Linckia columbiae (also inaccurately known as Tamaria stria) or Echinaster luzonicus.

From what I can see of the texture of the skin, it's most likely E. luzonicus.
Do all E. luzonicus. have 6 limbs
 
Just came across this today, not sure if you found one, we carry them and have a few in stock. They are purple / burgandy in color.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 1 5.9%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new