Purple LTA doesn't eat?

Tainum

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, I just got a Purple LTA about a week ago, hasn't really been doing bad that I can notice but I am curious because it doesn't accept food? It's open as long as the lights are on (full led or moonlight), and doesn't really close up. It closed up once and I had relocated it, I think it closed up either cause it didn't like the flow where it was or something. Either way, it needed to move because it was close to a hammer. It wasn't attached, so I moved it a few inches away and dug a small hole in the sand and placed it there. It's since opened but refuses to take anything. I've tried calamus, reef roids, and mysis. Tested parameters, 1.025, 0 nitrite, 0amm, 5-10nitrate, water is 79 degrees. I'm not too worried, but I'd like it to attach and be comfortable is my biggest concern. My clowns also haven't touched it since I got it so i know they atleast aren't being rough with it.

OP
OP
T

Tainum

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My light is also a Nicrew 100. The nem is also very small, a base diameter of maybe 3/4 inch? Pic is before I moved it away from hammer.
IMG_20201025_114726.jpg

OP
OP
T

Tainum

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The nem has since lifted up and moved, found it this morning on the left side of the tank.

jamie1210

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since your anemone is still new, it's really just stressed from all of the moving around/relocating. I wouldn't bother feeding it for another few weeks. Although it's fun to watch an anemone feed (and when an anemone does eat, it indicates it's happy, healthy and stress-free), it's really not necessary. In fact, when it's a new anemone and you're poking and prodding it to make it eat, it really causes it more stress than good. I would leave it alone. When it finally anchors/stays put, then it will gradually settle in, and get healthier. I noticed that the colors are a bit light. If tank conditions are good, it will darken up for sure.

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An anemone can feed itself :) put your hand anywhere near them, and see what happens when they grab you. It's hard to get them off you when they are strong and sticky.

OP
OP
T

Tainum

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since your anemone is still new, it's really just stressed from all of the moving around/relocating. I wouldn't bother feeding it for another few weeks. Although it's fun to watch an anemone feed (and when an anemone does eat, it indicates it's happy, healthy and stress-free), it's really not necessary. In fact, when it's a new anemone and you're poking and prodding it to make it eat, it really causes it more stress than good. I would leave it alone. When it finally anchors/stays put, then it will gradually settle in, and get healthier. I noticed that the colors are a bit light. If tank conditions are good, it will darken up for sure.
Okay, thanks, I appreciate that. I really tried to research about how quickly they can anchor, but never really found much. Obviously everyone's is different but I just worry about it and want to make sure it's happy. Then again, I know anenomes in general are just very environmental sensitive and will move for any given reason unfortunately which doesn't help me emotionally lol.

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That does not appear to be an LTA to me, it appears too bulbous? It almost looks like a BTA in a way, the fact that it doesn't want to attach under the sand pushes that notion a good bit. It is bleached slightly, they'll recover Zooxanthellae on their own so that isn't a problem. If it isn't eating, it may have an infection of some sort. If the mouth remains open at all times then that is definitely the case.

Jseimo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like what was said. I’ve had more success not feeding nems than feeding them. Let them be. If you feed the corals they can grab free floating food that way but anything you feed them could end up making a nem use more energetic digesting that it would eat. Just watch your powerheads

OP
OP
T

Tainum

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't see the foot since it's moved, but it's a dark pinkish/red with a small looking circle in the middle? The further down the base, the darker red it gets.

IMG_20201031_144526.jpg IMG_20201031_144534.jpg

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to agree with what others have mentioned, it looks like a BTA. If that's the case, don't be surprised it moves to a rock. Nems will go where they want to, let it get settled in.

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't see the foot since it's moved, but it's a dark pinkish/red with a small looking circle in the middle? The further down the base, the darker red it gets.

IMG_20201031_144526.jpg IMG_20201031_144534.jpg
If the foot is red then it is for sure an LTA, just wanted to make sure.
I would say take good care of it! don't touch it much or feed it for now, once it grows some Zooxanthellae back you can try to feed it once more. Does it's mouth gape at all, or is it shut tight?

OP
OP
T

Tainum

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to agree with what others have mentioned, it looks like a BTA. If that's the case, don't be surprised it moves to a rock. Nems will go where they want to, let it get settled in.
I had originally placed it in a crevice of rock and it let go and went to the bottom. I guess we'll just find out eventually

OP
OP
T

Tainum

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the foot is red then it is for sure an LTA, just wanted to make sure.
I would say take good care of it! don't touch it much or feed it for now, once it grows some Zooxanthellae back you can try to feed it once more. Does it's mouth gape at all, or is it shut tight?
It opens often, I wouldn't say it gapes, I can't see down the hole. I can see it open and close but gaping, I wouldn't say so.

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It opens often, I wouldn't say it gapes, I can't see down the hole. I can see it open and close but gaping, I wouldn't say so.
in that case it should be healthy. If you ever see it leave it's mouth open for longer than a day, there is the possibility that he might have an infection. I don't think he does though.
Have a nice day and God bless!

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree red is generally an lta. Put in sand dig to glass place nem cover up with sand leave disk above sand. Prop with some rubble. They like moderate flow should attach.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 26 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 66 79.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 13 15.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 8 9.6%
  • Other

Votes: 4 4.8%
Back