Purple Stag FS

CastAway

Prone to wander, never lost.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to do some trimming this weekend. I think it's a Purple Stag (Acropora hoeksemai), but am not 100%. It came from CoryC's tank via Aquatic Marine. Grows fast, beautiful lavender color.
IMG_1483315423.436634.jpg

IMG_1483315438.241464.jpg

Asking $40 OBO. Local pick-up/PayPal only.
PM if interested.

OP
OP
CastAway

CastAway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is a true hoek then they are difficult. I suspect it is not a hoek.

Help me out @cee. What might it be? I post in the SPS ID forum, and someone said hoek.

Degree of difficulty can be so subjective.

cee

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is so hard to tell from a frag. The radial corallites may not be fully developed. Hoeks have tubular radial corallites; yours doesn't appear to exhibit those characteristics but as the branch grows they may become more tubular. Do the mature branches grow more horizontally or vertically? That would help with an ID as well.

cee

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hoeks from a site I truly trust. Note tubular corallites and the "cupped" structure of the corallite lips. If your's is a hoek it is much browner than others I've seen or owned; they tend to be bright blue along the entire corallite, not just at the tips.

Apr252011.jpg

1hoeks.jpg

Joshua Hurst

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you guys have such success with hard corals? My birdsnest was doin great and then died one day

Reefrookie220

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stability, low nutrients and a mature tank. That and a dosing regimen, or calcium reactor etc etc.

OP
OP
CastAway

CastAway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed, stability.

I attribute the stability in my tank to the calcium reactor. It keeps my Alk and Ca stable, and all I have to dose is Mag (which I neglect).

Unfortunately the reactor and its CO2 drive my pH down, but at least it's consistently low.

Even a parameter that is not on target can be tolerable if it's consistent I think, and/or corrected slowly.

My tank does best at 2-5ppm NO3, but I have a hard time maintaining any measurable nitrate. I have lots of export mechanisms. I have to dose KNO3 to maintain it.
Ive heard of SPS heavy systems running at 10ppm or higher! So, I'm not sure I even know what "low nutrients" are anymore. LOL!

I think Waylon is right on maturity. I suspect a lot of metabolic processes are going on in a mature tank that we really have no clue about. I'm particularly curios about the contributions of sponges.

My only advice Josh, is to test all parameters, and often. Write down all results in a log and over time you'll begin to relate cause with effect. I think it's the only and best way. [emoji6]

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed, stability.

I attribute the stability in my tank to the calcium reactor. It keeps my Alk and Ca stable, and all I have to dose is Mag (which I neglect).

Unfortunately the reactor and its CO2 drive my pH down, but at least it's consistently low.

Even a parameter that is not on target can be tolerable if it's consistent I think, and/or corrected slowly.

My tank does best at 2-5ppm NO3, but I have a hard time maintaining any measurable nitrate. I have lots of export mechanisms. I have to dose KNO3 to maintain it.
Ive heard of SPS heavy systems running at 10ppm or higher! So, I'm not sure I even know what "low nutrients" are anymore. LOL!

I think Waylon is right on maturity. I suspect a lot of metabolic processes are going on in a mature tank that we really have no clue about. I'm particularly curios about the contributions of sponges.

My only advice Josh, is to test all parameters, and often. Write down all results in a log and over time you'll begin to relate cause with effect. I think it's the only and best way. [emoji6]
Jeff how are you dosing KNO3? Are you using Spectraside? I just ordered some up yesterday....

Joshua Hurst

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed, stability.

Do you ever target feed? Or do you just feed the fish often?

OP
OP
CastAway

CastAway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Myself, I target feed my Scoly, acans, trumpets, frogspawn and galaxia only. Not the SPS.

Reefrookie220

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"I suspect a lot of metabolic processes are going on in a mature tank that we really have no clue about."- @CastAway

My thoughts exactly.

All though you can find plethora of threads here on R2R in which people are loading new tanks with high-end sps and equipment, most of those tanks also featured in threads with major issues(browning, burnt tips, bleaching, and big die off) that I believe personally are directly related to the age of the tank.

Imo, stability and age aren't necessarily related. Anyone can throw water in a glass box and keep it stable, but it's the"older"tanks that keep themselves stable without much interference on our part.

Science has been around quiet awhile, but the ocean much longer. For every new thing learned there are a million unknowns.

OP
OP
CastAway

CastAway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump. Forty bones. Worth every penny to me. Still broke and need fish food. LOL

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 155 43.7%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 125 35.2%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 54 15.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.4%
Back