Purple tang help

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think it's too much? I treated 3 times last time I had them but I was also doing copper and it worked.

Most monogeneans are eradicated by 2.0 mg/L praziquantel and then a second dose is required to eliminate any hatchlings before they can lay eggs of their own.

This "calculator" was developed by the Marine Parasitology Laboratory, James Cook University (in Australia) to provide a more accurate way of scheduling the second round of treatment, based on temp & SG of the water: http://marineparasites.com/paratreatmentcal.html

The tool was specifically developed for Neobenedenia sp., by far the most common genus of Capsalid found in saltwater. While other families of flukes do exist (including a few resistant to praziquantel), the odds are very much in your favor that you are dealing with Neobenedenia considering the species of fish (warm water) we typically keep in a home aquarium. Alternative treatments for prazi resistant flukes include:
  • Hyposalinity (for 5 days)
  • Formalin baths done 2x (1 week apart), with transfer into a sterile QT following each bath to prevent reinfection.

OP
OP
Chitown tom

Chitown tom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0207.JPG
IMG_0208.JPG
IMG_0209.JPG
IMG_0207.JPG
Someone is looking much better tonight.

Still does not have his appetite back though.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 139 43.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 113 35.0%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.5%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back