Purple tang help

Chitown tom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0188.JPG
IMG_0186.JPG
I received a purple tang from a local reefer. Super fat and healthy.

I placed him into my qt on 6/12 dosed with cp.

He broke with inch a few days later then never came back.

I noticed over the last few days he has not been eating like before. I thought it was from the CP.

I have not been really observing him much as I have been outdoors with the kids.

Today 4 weeks were up and I was getting ready to do a 100% water change and pull out all the cp and dose Prazi.

To my surprise he has ich like white spots on his fins.

Is this possible?

I use a scale to measure out .82 mg cp and just topped off water. No new additions he is in the tank by himself. Cp is from diamond back.

aykwm

Research Addict!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id do a FW dip and check for fluke if you haven't treat with prazi yet. It might be a combination of flukes + secondary bacterial infection.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. Do a freshwater dip to see if those spots are flukes. If not, then we will need to talk about your QT practices such as: how you do your water changes and dose the new water with cp, cross contamination, and how far away any other tanks are from the QT, ect.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fw dip confirmed flukes.

Boy you guys are good!!!

Should I pull out the cp and dose prazi or can I mix the 2 and then do a 100% water change in 5 to 7 days and dose again?

You can use powdered prazi in conjunction with CP - not the liquid prazipro. Otherwise, you'll need to pull the Cp in favor of prazipro until that's complete then start the cp over again.

OP
OP
Chitown tom

Chitown tom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I checked him this morning before leaving for work and he looks much better!

This is my first time dealing with flukes and I am not sure how to properly deal with it.

Just to recap:
Went into CP 6/12
out 7/11
FW dip for 5 minutes on 7/11 and into new water + prazi

My plan is 100% wc on 7/16 then out of prazi 7/21.

Should I then go into a 2 week observation?
Will a 3rd round of prazi be needed?

OP
OP
Chitown tom

Chitown tom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Heather w

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0188.JPG
IMG_0186.JPG
I received a purple tang from a local reefer. Super fat and healthy.

I placed him into my qt on 6/12 dosed with cp.

He broke with inch a few days later then never came back.

I noticed over the last few days he has not been eating like before. I thought it was from the CP.

I have not been really observing him much as I have been outdoors with the kids.

Today 4 weeks were up and I was getting ready to do a 100% water change and pull out all the cp and dose Prazi.

To my surprise he has ich like white spots on his fins.

Is this possible?

I use a scale to measure out .82 mg cp and just topped off water. No new additions he is in the tank by himself. Cp is from diamond back.
Ok. Ich LOVES tangs. And I found in my research, that this demon resides in live rocks lurking there waiting for a host. It will in someway have a deficiency. A scrape, low immunity, anything. DO NOT put him in your tank and for gods sake NO COPPER. There is an organic treatment. Works every time for me. If it's infecting his gills he might be to far gone. With patience and attention you might be able to bring him back.

Incidentally. This can treat your main tank if any of you main tank shows signs. In truth, I pop a touch in every week or so.

This leaves NOTHING to harm your ANY life form!! Get rid of ANYTHING that chemically treats inch. It is horrible for their stressed out little bodies. Nothing good happens to a reef when chemicals enters the picture!

I hope you can save him. A fresh water dip might get the larger tomonts to die and fall off his body. It must all be done gently!
c080ba53947c2157ba1f93d25cd362e3.jpg

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ebushrow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. Ich LOVES tangs. And I found in my research, that this demon resides in live rocks lurking there waiting for a host. It will in someway have a deficiency. A scrape, low immunity, anything. DO NOT put him in your tank and for gods sake NO COPPER. There is an organic treatment. Works every time for me. If it's infecting his gills he might be to far gone. With patience and attention you might be able to bring him back.

Incidentally. This can treat your main tank if any of you main tank shows signs. In truth, I pop a touch in every week or so.

This leaves NOTHING to harm your ANY life form!! Get rid of ANYTHING that chemically treats inch. It is horrible for their stressed out little bodies. Nothing good happens to a reef when chemicals enters the picture!

I hope you can save him. A fresh water dip might get the larger tomonts to die and fall off his body. It must all be done gently!
c080ba53947c2157ba1f93d25cd362e3.jpg
Ich attack contains CP in a very low dose...that's why it works....but not enough to eradicate ich

Back