Purple Tang Twitching

WhatCouldGoWrong71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
So I just watched my purple tang do this:

That is not my tank, but that is exactly what my tang is doing. I’m wondering if it is stray voltage. I once thought I felt something when I touched the aluminum stand and had my hand in the sump. I can install one of those plugs that you put the other end in the water for grounding. But I have no way to test for voltage. Anyone seen this before?

I have not added any new fish in 6 months to this tank. I did add a couple frags that I dipped about 3 weeks ago. My other fish are not acting weird. However my space invader is acting off today, it is not puffy, but it is shrunken, it never looks like this. My magnesium is on the higher side. Salinity is 1.026. PH is correct. NO3 is 8.1 and PO4 is .07.

To get PH there I am Kalk at night = to evap, sodium hydroxide to 8.5 and BiCarb > 8.5, in case that matters. Also doing recirc. Thoughts?

IMG_2077.png

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
So I just watched my purple tang do this:

That is not my tank, but that is exactly what my tang is doing. I’m wondering if it is stray voltage. I once thought I felt something when I touched the aluminum stand and had my hand in the sump. I can install one of those plugs that you put the other end in the water for grounding. But I have no way to test for voltage. Anyone seen this before?

I have not added any new fish in 6 months to this tank. I did add a couple frags that I dipped about 3 weeks ago. My other fish are not acting weird. However my space invader is acting off today, it is not puffy, but it is shrunken, it never looks like this. My magnesium is on the higher side. Salinity is 1.026. PH is correct. NO3 is 8.1 and PO4 is .07.

To get PH there I am Kalk at night = to evap, sodium hydroxide to 8.5 and BiCarb > 8.5, in case that matters. Also doing recirc. Thoughts?

IMG_2077.png
PH and Mag elevated but would not be cause. Need pic, mainly video under white intensity of actual fish

OP
OP
W

WhatCouldGoWrong71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
PH and Mag elevated but would not be cause. Need pic, mainly video under white intensity of actual fish

Man the tang is photo shy once I turn the whites on. Man I really regret moving my lights over to the mxm box, I had to disconnect to get whites to stay on for more than 30 seconds, anyone enough complaining. I am going to try and upload it here. I'll share a link to my Google drive, but you will have to download it for better quality, it doesn't play great from drive. And, funny story about that trigger that is in there. It hitch hiked it's way in on a rock when it was really small. Now I can't get it out of the tank, which is impacting lots of things. I have been trying to fish it out the last couple weeks. I don't know if my marriage could last taking all the rocks out of the tank again. The last time, I almost had to move into the attic for a week. Anyway, here goes...

File is too large to upload.

OP
OP
W

WhatCouldGoWrong71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
The tang is also not doing it now. But you can get a look at him/her, it looks healthy to me, but then again, I am clueless - lol.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Man the tang is photo shy once I turn the whites on. Man I really regret moving my lights over to the mxm box, I had to disconnect to get whites to stay on for more than 30 seconds, anyone enough complaining. I am going to try and upload it here. I'll share a link to my Google drive, but you will have to download it for better quality, it doesn't play great from drive. And, funny story about that trigger that is in there. It hitch hiked it's way in on a rock when it was really small. Now I can't get it out of the tank, which is impacting lots of things. I have been trying to fish it out the last couple weeks. I don't know if my marriage could last taking all the rocks out of the tank again. The last time, I almost had to move into the attic for a week. Anyway, here goes...

File is too large to upload.

Yes, I do not see anything abnormal other than a fish being cautious while out. Algae is falling apart and going into crevices from the flow which may contribute to elevated po4

OP
OP
W

WhatCouldGoWrong71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Yes, I do not see anything abnormal other than a fish being cautious while out. Algae is falling apart and going into crevices from the flow which may contribute to elevated po4

That was nori falling, it like instantly disintegrated I tried to entice it to come out, it goes ape poop over that stuff. Did you see something different? Don't get me wrong, that trigger has destroyed my CUC game. It has 2 grave yards of snails, inverts' shells piled up that it has eaten. It doesn't bother the fish that were there first, but the longest lasting fish I have put in there since he came out of the rock was 3 hours.... But, short of some hair algae in the birds nest, it's not too bad. At least under blues, lol. All that green I thought was green coralline.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was nori falling, it like instantly disintegrated I tried to entice it to come out, it goes ape poop over that stuff. Did you see something different? Don't get me wrong, that trigger has destroyed my CUC game. It has 2 grave yards of snails, inverts' shells piled up that it has eaten. It doesn't bother the fish that were there first, but the longest lasting fish I have put in there since he came out of the rock was 3 hours.... But, short of some hair algae in the birds nest, it's not too bad. At least under blues, lol. All that green I thought was green coralline.

I don't see anything acutely wrong with the tang, it just seems a bit hyper. However, fish can have flukes for some time before developing symptoms, years in some cases, so if you see any additional symptoms; scratching, rapid breathing or lack of appetite, you might consider dosing with praziquantel.

Your tank should be connected to a GFCI circuit for safety. Electrical shorts can be an issue. "Stray voltage", induced voltage from pumps, can be measured with a volt meter to ground, but does not cause any symptoms in fish, it just gets blamed for things because most tanks have measurable stray voltage, then people have a fish that has an issue, they measure the tank, find stray voltage and blame it (grin).

Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Oh - and I forgot to mention this morning - you may be well aware, but at some point, that undulatus trigger is going to cause issues - they always seem to get nasty, just a matter of when.

Jay

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 47 41.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 10.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 32 28.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 20 17.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.8%
Back