Purple up?

Headlessnwalkin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some good pieces of live rock starting to dose purple up. In hopes to get more color through out other rocks. Which is the proper way of using it. Filter and skimmer off for a time period or just go ahead and leave everything on.

chipcount

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just leave everything on. in time the coraline will come in.

OP
OP
H

Headlessnwalkin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was using calcium+3 until someone told me to try purple up. I was also looking for traces of iodine for pulsing pompom. Just got sidetracked when adding more coraline scrapings I was told to turn everything off but powerhead. Thanks

capt85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I poured one cap full in 70 gl of water and I think it worked well but don't expect over night.

RonMidtownStomp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has no benefit over normal alk/ca maintenance thru dosing or a CaRx. Just maintain good water change parameters, do good regular water changes, and everything else you would do to maintain a good reef tank and coraline will come as long as you don't have creatures that eat it.

NaplesAquatics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which is the proper way of using it. Filter and skimmer off...
Purple Up can't be skimmed or filtered out, so it makes no difference. It's basically aragonite in solution with a bit of iodine, not really that helpful for the price. There are cheaper ways to dose your tank if you need it. You find out if you need it by testing.

Jeff

Reef lvr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would not use if your not testing those params, proper cal/alk/mag/lighting, you will have all the coraline you could want!!

caudill187

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried this stuff when I was a young reefing whipper-snapper and never could figure out exactly what it was doing to my water parameters. It looks kind of cool when your tank gets all cloudy though....made me feel like I was something beneficial.

I agree that there are better ways to encourage coralline algae growth....just care for the tank like you would with corals:)

lps1212

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea purple up for me didn't do the trick like others stated all you need is your one seeded piece of rock and in time that rock will leech out the coraline and soon you will have purple everywhere gl and patience

gannmann9876

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i dosed purple up at first too. brs 2 part kits are a lot cheaper and works great. i recently set up a calcium reactor and it makes everything much easier

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
purple up is nothing more than calcium additives. my tank is9 months old and is completely purple. growing like mad an not a drop of that snake oil

Lytehouse

just havin' fun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried this stuff when I was a young reefing whipper-snapper and never could figure out exactly what it was doing to my water parameters. It looks kind of cool when your tank gets all cloudy though....made me feel like I was something beneficial.

I agree that there are better ways to encourage coralline algae growth....just care for the tank like you would with corals:)

that is exactly what I was thinking,
it seems like a long time ago.....

mobatic

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purple up is great, but I would stick with straight kalkwasser as it makes purple coraline aglea grow like weeds.
You'll get to the point where you try to get rid of it, but you cant!

RaeRae

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont rush it and waist your money on that stuff. It will come in time. Just keep your calcium up.

tomle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
purple up works great, just make sure you have at least 1 rock full of coralline growth on it to help seed the tank

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Snake oil!!!!!! It's a sales gimmick just dose your 2 part and keep your mag up it will come in no time... Then you will wish it never did!!!! I hate that stuff haha...

Back