!!!!Putting Phillips new Coral Care Gen2 LED to the test!!!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Do you know how many watts this is pulling and is it dimmable? Cant wait to see your results!
They do have a controller that has several preset programs that ramp up and down.
I have a pair of them over my softy tank.

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I bet all Adam’s large grow out colonies are under Halide?

Well, not exactly

I have duplicates of pretty much everything under all three in some form or another. But I am certain that once I run out of 65k bulbs (I have another 3 years worth) I will lose the halides.

Fourstars

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that due to heat and cost, or have LEDs’ caught up to Halide?

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, not exactly

I have duplicates of pretty much everything under all three in some form or another. But I am certain that once I run out of 65k bulbs (I have another 3 years worth) I will lose the halides.
Interested to see how these work out.
Several of my friends run all Orphek light bars with some pretty amazing results.
They replaced their G4's with them.
If I was to go full led I would consider the Orpheks.
I do run one blue plus for dawn/dusk viewing.
As a halide guy I have been wondering if these bulbs would be
good for our corals.
I have many 600 watt electronic ballasts laying around from hydro days.
They are 7K and will be around for awhile I believe.

Fourstars

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interested to see how these work out.
Several of my friends run all Orphek light bars with some pretty amazing results.
They replaced their G4's with them.
If I was to go full led I would consider the Orpheks.
I do run one blue plus for dawn/dusk viewing.
As a halide guy I have been wondering if these bulbs would be
good for our corals.
I have many 600 watt electronic ballasts laying around from hydro days.
They are 7K and will be around for awhile I believe.
I also run Orphek blues with my halides, I was kinda wondering the same thing. It would give you great coverage but might have that disco effect? One of the reasons I was looking at the Phillips To replace the halides,. Just so hard to make the move!

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also run Orphek blues with my halides, I was kinda wondering the same thing. It would give you great coverage but might have that disco effect? One of the reasons I was looking at the Phillips To replace the halides,. Just so hard to make the move!
Friends that run all OR3's on their tanks, one has 8, have no disco effect.
A mix of 50/50 blue plus and reef day plus is what most run with no disco effect.
I get more shimmer, which I prefer, with my halides anyway.
I am going to try the Ushio 600 over my frag tank but need to get a par meter first so I dont fry anything.
Whether I continue to run it will be seen but it gives me a reason to buy a good par meter, lol.
It would be no issue for me to run all Orphek's to replace my halides.
Probably will go that route on another frag tank and on my future large upgrade.
They are really that nice and time will tell if anyone can come out with something better.
You can also order custom ones with leds of your choice which no one else offers right now.

rc1626

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Adam,
A little over a month in with this fixture. How are things looking at this point? Purchased a few for my 180 at about the same time as you. Coming from 250watt Radiums I ran an acclimation for 3 weeks and sps haven't blinked and are cruising. Curious of your thoughts at this point? Hopefully all is well.
Thanks.

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hey Adam,
A little over a month in with this fixture. How are things looking at this point? Purchased a few for my 180 at about the same time as you. Coming from 250watt Radiums I ran an acclimation for 3 weeks and sps haven't blinked and are cruising. Curious of your thoughts at this point? Hopefully all is well.
Thanks.

So far I'm really impressed. Coloration and PE are exceptional. I posted some pics on my IG a few weeks ago and will get some updates up here soon. I actually just picked up a second fixture as well. Should be up by friday. Over all I really like what I see.

rc1626

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice.....good to hear. I'm very happy at this point as well. My hope is for success long term.

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Very nice.....good to hear. I'm very happy at this point as well. My hope is for success long term.

with you there. the "no moving parts" factor is a big deal for me and should increase longevity with any luck

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adam - did you get a chance to measure PAR ? There has been talks around PAR being a little on the lower side from coral care and wanted to know your thoughts

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Adam - did you get a chance to measure PAR ? There has been talks around PAR being a little on the lower side from coral care and wanted to know your thoughts
Hey Abhishek! how's it going my man? Par on this one matches the t5 almost exactly at the same height. Was around 550 at the water surface I believe. I may have to double check that. lol

rc1626

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe the low par you hear of is based on running them on the real blue side having to turn down the whites. At 100% full on both channels par is very good. I run mine at 100% blue and around 80% white for most of my photo period and par is not an issue at all. Don't have numbers in front of me but will have to drop the stick in again for a couple of readings.

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Abhishek! how's it going my man? Par on this one matches the t5 almost exactly at the same height. Was around 550 at the water surface I believe. I may have to double check that. lol
Life has changed my friend after my son being born . Hardly time for anything else
That PAR number is pretty good actually !

How would you describe the spread - like end to end acro coverage over a 24 inch square with good PAR numbers of over 250 across the board ?

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Spread is very much like the t5's. in fact, between spread and spectrum, I can hardly tell a difference between the two side by side. Covers a nice wide area underneath and par is pretty even as well. I'm sure that's because of the diffuser. Seems to be very effective at balancing the spread.

I did get the second fixture mounted yesterday as well:)

IMG_1888.jpeg

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spread is very much like the t5's. in fact, between spread and spectrum, I can hardly tell a difference between the two side by side. Covers a nice wide area underneath and par is pretty even as well. I'm sure that's because of the diffuser. Seems to be very effective at balancing the spread.

I did get the second fixture mounted yesterday as well:)

IMG_1888.jpeg
Awesome man ! The only problem I see is to replace my 12 ATI sunpower ( 2 x 6 54 watts) and cover 36 inch of acropora only surface , I would need no less than 4 fixtures mounted in 2 rows :(

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if I could ever part with my Sunpower, but that Coral Care looks perfect for the hostile environment of a coral aquaculture facility.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back