Putting shells in my tank for decoration

Chris H Reef

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 16, 2024
Messages
111
Reaction score
72
Location
Greenville
What state or country do you live in
South Carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

My girlfriend got me a few shells from the beach on a trip she took. I want to put them in my 75gal reef tank. Will they alter my water permitters at all? I know crushed coral can change the ph in a fresh water system, is the same true here?
 
Hey all,

My girlfriend got me a few shells from the beach on a trip she took. I want to put them in my 75gal reef tank. Will they alter my water permitters at all? I know crushed coral can change the ph in a fresh water system, is the same true here?

Will be fine
I have done the same, but it's good practice to throw the shells in boiling water for 10 minutes to kill anything you wouldn't want in your system.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 29.6%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 9 33.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 8 29.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 33.3%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 5 18.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new