Pvc glue smell

bevo5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I added a new pump to my mixing station and had to re-plumb a few parts. It’s been a few days and the connections still smell of pvc glue. I’ve tried soaking them and they still smell.

My two 55g containers are full of ro and saltwater, so I don’t really want to waste that water.

Is it bad if I can still smell it all? Harmful?

It’s a 200g tank and I only do small changes so wouldn’t be a lot of new water either way.
Thanks.

Jaden9933

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a new pump to my mixing station and had to re-plumb a few parts. It’s been a few days and the connections still smell of pvc glue. I’ve tried soaking them and they still smell.

My two 55g containers are full of ro and saltwater, so I don’t really want to waste that water.

Is it bad if I can still smell it all? Harmful?

It’s a 200g tank and I only do small changes so wouldn’t be a lot of new water either way.
Thanks.
I’ve always read that almost all PVC glues are reef safe at about 15min after applications. 30min to be safe. 24 hours if you want to REALLY make sure they’ll be no issues. So, IME, smell shouldn’t matter as long as it’s dry!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
It generally goes away with a few short hours. Opening windows will make that time shorter

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 43.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back