PVC Plumbing Underwater?

Gary Ellis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to hard plumb my Clarisea underwater. Will the glue contaminate my water? I can't keep my sump down to long so I'm wondering if fresh glue will be bad? also will it be OK to have a union ball valve underwater?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glue / Solvent needs dry surfaces to bond the pipes together. Liquid solvent will get in your water. Ball valves have metal parts.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to hard plumb my Clarisea underwater. Will the glue contaminate my water? I can't keep my sump down to long so I'm wondering if fresh glue will be bad? also will it be OK to have a union ball valve underwater?

You should have no issues with taking your sump offline for enough time to hard plumb the PVC required to hard plumb your Clarisea. PVC cement hardens the joint enough to withstand water in 15 minutes and fully cures in 2 hours. As long as you do not go overboard with the PVC cleaner and cement. BTW - PVC union ball valves DO NOT have any metal in them.

OP
OP
G

Gary Ellis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should have no issues with taking your sump offline for enough time to hard plumb the PVC required to hard plumb your Clarisea. PVC cement hardens the joint enough to withstand water in 15 minutes and fully cures in 2 hours. As long as you do not go overboard with the PVC cleaner and cement. BTW - PVC union ball valves DO NOT have any metal in them.
Thanks, I was just looking and see no metal parts for sure. So the union ball valve will be OK underwater. Right. I will glue and let it cure and then install it in the sump.

OP
OP
G

Gary Ellis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine has a metal screw under the top cap to secure the handle. So there are brands that dont have this metal screw?
Mine has no metal screw under cap.

IMG_0100.JPG IMG_0101.JPG

Last edited:

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do you need to glue the PVC that is underwater? A firm friction fit will keep the pipes and fitting together, and if they drip .... who cares if they’re under water.

OP
OP
G

Gary Ellis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tend to agree with you and it's only a drain. No real pressure.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 139 43.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 113 35.0%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.5%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back