Python no spill

Carolina79

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I’m looking at burning the Python no spill kit for water changes. I currently do a 10% water change manually with buckets. I’m new to having a sump and understand that I should probably siphon that out once in awhile. The question is if I’m using the Python and it’s attached to a faucet how do I know I’m doing a 10% water change? I know if I’m just doing my DT then I could draw a line where I know it’s 10% but what if I siphon out the sump? Maybe this is a stupid question !

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Long ago I made marks on the back of a tank to measure the gallons and have used this method ever since.
Sharpie marks last a very long time. They don't have to be big and fat, just big enough to see when you look for them.
I have several marks on my tank for different amounts drained out, and one in my sump that correlates to one on the tank.

aSaltyKlown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long ago I made marks on the back of a tank to measure the gallons and have used this method ever since.
Sharpie marks last a very long time. They don't have to be big and fat, just big enough to see when you look for them.
I have several marks on my tank for different amounts drained out, and one in my sump that correlates to one on the tank.
I just got one and this is exactly what I did. I drained my 10% into a bucket and then marked the back of the tank.

edd59

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
measure your inside dimentions and divide by 231 that will give you gallons per inch.

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Carolina79 are people telling you to vacuum out your sump or to empty it? I do all my water changes through the display tank. And since the water circulates through the sump I don’t know what you gain by siphoning out the sump.

But if you’re trying to clean the sump I use the vacuum and crevice tools from Vivid Aquatics running through a small pump and discharging back into a filter sock in the sump. Super easy. Here are links for the two gadgets I think that BRS might also have videos using it

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 61 78.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.1%
Back