Python Vacuum

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know any "tricks" to using the Python vacuum system with sand? It seems the suction is so strong that it picks up all my finer sand particles...but then doesn't pick up the heavier stuff (cyano) that I want it to pick up! This item came highly recommended on the forum, so I assume there is a trick to make it work better.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of sand does the person have who recommended it?

What kind do you have?

If your sand is simply "lighter" than the cyano patches, you'll need a different strategy or simply say "bye bye" to the tiny particles and keep the bigger ones.

Some folks have modified the tube that goes into the sand to allow more water from above the gravel line into the tube....that doesn't really help in your case though. Maybe there are other mods too though.

S-t-r-e-t-c-h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the "pinch the tube" technique. Open the valve more than you think you need and then use your off hand to crimp the hose. When you release, it will suck up the sand and cyano and start it swirling. Then when the sand starts to get to the top of the cylinder, cinch the hose again; the sand should fall faster than the cyano. Rinse and repeat.

It'll take some practice, but that's the best way that I've found...

OP
OP
Idoc

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of sand does the person have who recommended it?

What kind do you have?

If your sand is simply "lighter" than the cyano patches, you'll need a different strategy or simply say "bye bye" to the tiny particles and keep the bigger ones.

Some folks have modified the tube that goes into the sand to allow more water from above the gravel line into the tube....that doesn't really help in your case though. Maybe there are other mods too though.

I have a mixture of Tropic Edan Meso flakes and mini flakes for my sand. I may just be saying goodbye to some of the smaller particles, I guess. I'll attempt the hose pinching technique that @S-t-r-e-t-c-h recommends to see if that helps as well.

The python works great for getting suction to clean a floor level sump, though... which was my main treason for purchasing.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 20 33.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 11.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 20 33.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 11 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back