Q on T-5s

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I planned on getting a new ballast for the new tank cause I assumed the one I have which is for the 48' 54w lamps couldn't run the 24' 39w T-5 lamps. So I e-mailed HelloLights and they told me that the ballast I have can run the 36'' 39w T-5 lamp and I would have to get a new ballast cause it will over drive them and burn out premature......Here is the question: If it can run the 39w T-5 without issue why would it not be able to run the same watt bulb but 12'' shorter version? Does that 12'' make that big a difference? As long as they are the same wattage why would the 24''s be any different then the 36''.....Any advice or ideas? Cause if I don't have to spend the cash on a new ballast, lamps, reflectors that would be great. They didn't say how premature the bulbs would burn out though just like 30% or so sooner....?

James

Russellaqua

Coral Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You certainly could overdrive the bulbs by using shorter bulbs. The ballast is responsible for essentially generating a bunch of electrons within the tube that causes the coating to glow. On a longer bulb you need more of these electrons and hence more power even though the wattage is the same. In essence you'd be supplying too much power to the shorter bulb and it would burn out sooner. How much sooner is hard to say.

VanGogh121

Melba Toast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DOes it have 4 red and 2 yellow wires? if so you might be able to run 4 24" bulbs. From research it will overdirve 36" bulbs, like an Icecap ballast, it will be brighter but have shorter bulb life. You'll probably have to replace em' annually (depending on quality of bulb).

OP
OP
Azurel

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the imput guys.....Not sure of what the wires are sitting here thinking about it.....Have to look...

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 18 42.9%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 22 52.4%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 2 4.8%
Back