QT Ammonia Level

jfingers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I currently have my Porcupine Puffer in a 55 gallon QT. I know a 10-12 inch puffer is big for a 55 gallon. My ammonia keeps climbing and is current at 0.52. I’m doing 15 gallon WC everyday and it keeps climbing. Should I start to panic? If not, what is the max ammonia level before it’s an emergency water change?

OP
OP
J

jfingers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a half inch of sand on the bottom and have a seachem tidal power filter 110 chalk full with biomedia. Not sure what else I can do.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you cycle the QT? I would get some Prime (or other ammonia remover)....0.52 is quite high for long term..Just IMO
No! Prime has been proven to NOT detoxify ammonia (it has never claimed to remove it). For an uncycled tank, large water changes are the way to keep ammonia at safe levels.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did cycle it.
If you cycled it, then you must not have enough surface area for the nitrifying bacteria to colonize, regardless of the amount of "bio media" you have.

Are you doing an observation quarantine or treating the fish?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a half inch of sand on the bottom and have a seachem tidal power filter 110 chalk full with biomedia. Not sure what else I can do.
Just looked up this filter... Even completely full of media, that wouldn't be enough. Without a decent amount of rock in the tank (or a LARGE media bag full of something like Matrix), there won't be sufficient surface area to grow a decent biofilter.

OP
OP
J

jfingers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you cycled it, then you must not have enough surface area for the nitrifying bacteria to colonize, regardless of the amount of "bio media" you have.

Are you doing an observation quarantine or treating the fish?
He was treated with Fenbendazole for gill flukes. Cant put him back in display because it’s infected.

FUNGI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No! Prime has been proven to NOT detoxify ammonia (it has never claimed to remove it). For an uncycled tank, large water changes are the way to keep ammonia at safe levels.
Must have mis-read the bottle:
1698250397757.png

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Must have mis-read the bottle:
1698250397757.png

Seachem, like other aquarium product companies, puts misleading claims on their products. They may also exhibit poor understanding of chemistry and won't explain how things are supposed to work. There is a massive thread on this website about prime that you should check out.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say you cycled the tank, how did you do it? I would just get another massive bacterial bottle. Somethine like biospira or fritz turbo. I can't imagine you don't have enough surface area with sand in there If you are concerned about surface area, just add some rock or biosponge (or toss something like a biobrick/plate in).

PS keep in mind that if there are other fish in the display tank, they may also harbor flukes and treating just one fish may not work.

FUNGI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seachem, like other aquarium product companies, puts misleading claims on their products. They may also exhibit poor understanding of chemistry and won't explain how things are supposed to work. There is a massive thread on this website about prime that you should check out.
Link Pls

OP
OP
J

jfingers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
When you say you cycled the tank, how did you do it? I would just get another massive bacterial bottle. Somethine like biospira or fritz turbo. I can't imagine you don't have enough surface area with sand in there If you are concerned about surface area, just add some rock or biosponge (or toss something like a biobrick/plate in).

PS keep in mind that if there are other fish in the display tank, they may also harbor flukes and treating just one fish may not work.
I cycled the tank with a piece of table shrimp. One thing I failed to read is there is a conversion chart for the Hanna Checker free ammonia. After the conversion I’m reading 0.06 of free ammonia.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 29 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 132 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back