QT and Fallow update.... questions.

Dukereefnz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 30 day quarantine periods ends this week for my main fish, some of these fish have done 40 days as I did not get them all in to this tank at the same time.

Am I able to start doing water changes and reducing the copper level… or do I need to do major changes?

I was thinking of doing water changes and letting the Copper Power level drop naturally as I wait for my DT… 45 or 76 days is another question.

My next problem… is my other quarantine tank… (No Copper) this has my 2 x clowns and Scopas tang that got sick in the main QT.

They are all healed now, and have been in this tank for a couple of week, and would have been in copper 3 weeks before going in to this tank, they are showing no signs of ICH.

They have been well stressed in this tank with temp changes etc, another story… So my guess is the Tang would be showing signs of ICH if it was in this tank.

Do I need to use copper on the Clowns and Tang again? Plan is to not do this…. As they look fine and were in CP for 2 weeks… and got very sick.

And my last problem… 3 x mandarins in my 3rd QT tank, (NO Copper) – DT water and rock… look perfectly healthy.

I know mandarin can carry ICH.. so what do I do with them?

I was thinking when the 45 or 76 days is up and the other fish are in the DT… I would transfer them in to the now clean QT – doing the TTM..(Tank Transfer Method).

I need to read up on this…

And finally - I was thinking of using a Molly in my DT - before i add the fish... is this worth doing?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
My 30 day quarantine periods ends this week for my main fish, some of these fish have done 40 days as I did not get them all in to this tank at the same time.

Am I able to start doing water changes and reducing the copper level… or do I need to do major changes?

I was thinking of doing water changes and letting the Copper Power level drop naturally as I wait for my DT… 45 or 76 days is another question.

My next problem… is my other quarantine tank… (No Copper) this has my 2 x clowns and Scopas tang that got sick in the main QT.

They are all healed now, and have been in this tank for a couple of week, and would have been in copper 3 weeks before going in to this tank, they are showing no signs of ICH.

They have been well stressed in this tank with temp changes etc, another story… So my guess is the Tang would be showing signs of ICH if it was in this tank.

Do I need to use copper on the Clowns and Tang again? Plan is to not do this…. As they look fine and were in CP for 2 weeks… and got very sick.

And my last problem… 3 x mandarins in my 3rd QT tank, (NO Copper) – DT water and rock… look perfectly healthy.

I was thinking when the 45 or 76 days is up and the other fish are in the DT… I would transfer them in to the now clean QT – doing the TTM..(Tank Transfer Method).

And finally - I was thinking of using a Molly in my DT - before i add the fish... is this worth doing?
Need clarification - is Copper in display tank or Quarantine tank? If display tank is fish only and no signs of disease- You can do water change and add carbon if removal of copper is desired.
If mandarins are in display , you should if concerned move them to a QT tank and treat with general cure for at least 21 days or observation in QT. No copper for mandarins.
For tangs/clowns if no treatment- You are taking a risk but chances are by now you would have seen indicators of disease.
Fallow period is 45-60 days and 76 optional if you wish. I am however confused as to:
What is in display now or has it been empty

What is in Quarantine tank Now

Which tank are mandarins in?

OP
OP
Dukereefnz

Dukereefnz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry - I was confusing...

DT - Reef tank - empty for 30 days - 200G
Quarantine tank 1 - Most of my fish 50G - copper power 30days - actually 40days but 30 with all fish.
Quarantine tank 2 - 2 x clown & 1 x Sopas Tang - no copper - where in QT 1 for 2 weeks but got sick - 2 weeks in QT 2.
Quarantine tank 3 - 3 x mandarins - NO copper - DT water. ... what to do with these?

would you use Copper on clowns and tang again?... now healthy - not in copper now - been in quarantine tank 2 for 2 weeks.

How would you treat the mandarins?

Would you wait full 76 days?
Tank temp was 78 for 2 weeks - now 81 for 2 weeks.

Thanks

Biochembob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Quarantine tank 1 - Most of my fish 50G - copper power 30days - actually 40days but 30 with all fish.
Quarantine tank 2 - 2 x clown & 1 x Sopas Tang - no copper - where in QT 1 for 2 weeks but got sick - 2 weeks in QT 2.
Quarantine tank 3 - 3 x mandarins - NO copper - DT water. ... what to do with these?

would you use Copper on clowns and tang again?... now healthy - not in copper now - been in quarantine tank 2 for 2 weeks.

Thanks
Your display has to stay fallow for 76 days.

For the other fish use this chart and use copper on everything you can. You need to make absolutely sure you have no Ich going into your display tank. In order to keep from having copper in all your tanks I would start at 80 days moving your fish out of the copper tank to your display tank and then moving from your other QT tank to your copper tank on a 30 day rotation until they have all been through copper as prescribed by the chart.

edit: be extra careful not to cross contaminate. Make sure to move all the fish from the copper tank before moving anything to the copper tank. Have different sets of nets so you don't spread any disease.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

In your QT, I would do some water changes to get the copper down below about 1/3 of the treatment dose. Then, if these are new fish (not ones you pulled from your DT to treat for ich) you should put them through a praziquantel treatment. Either General Cure of Prazipro. Dosed twice, 8 days apart, with good aeration.

The best you can do with the mandarins is keep them well fed and hold them out of the DT as long as you can - 60 days minimum, 75 is safer.

I don't use mollies, it is a fun idea, but in practical use it doesn't work well. Mollies can also bring in diseases that can transfer to marine fish (euryhaline flukes for one).

Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Thanks
As stated- mandarins have a resistance and should not be in copper- Observe them. If verifiable ich0 General cure. They rarely get ich. Copper has been completed- again, assure they are ich free and you can do the typical second step using PraziPro which is applied with initial dosage known as an interval for 8 days, do a water change and do one more 8 day dose interval. Use airstone with prazi as it does reduce both oxygen and appetite.
Mollies may cause more issues than any advantages

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I got velvet in my tank. I waited 90 days and added chromis to test just to be safe

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back