OP
OP
arvind

arvind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been doing all the treatment as suggested. Metroplex, Furan 2, Kanaplex & General Cure. Havent seen much improvement in the purple tang's appearance although he continues to be active. How long does it take to be back to normal?

OP
OP
arvind

arvind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has been two weeks and the fish has not shown much progress, especially the purple tang. Is there anything else I can do now? May be another round of same medication?

I am completing QT of 76 days in a week from now. I am guessing I should continue to keep the sick fish in QT until they are free of symptoms, while release the remaining fish into the DT. Pl. advise.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has been two weeks and the fish has not shown much progress, especially the purple tang. Is there anything else I can do now? May be another round of same medication?

I am completing QT of 76 days in a week from now. I am guessing I should continue to keep the sick fish in QT until they are free of symptoms, while release the remaining fish into the DT. Pl. advise.

What symptoms are you still seeing? I think I remember from last time that most of the fish had fin & tail rot. Can you post some recent photos of them?

OP
OP
arvind

arvind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What symptoms are you still seeing? I think I remember from last time that most of the fish had fin & tail rot. Can you post some recent photos of them?

The desarjini tang has fin and tail rot. I noticed today that the tang was trying to bite the tang's fins. He was constantly chasing. I am thinking of moving the clown to the other QT. Is it possible that the rot is not a rot but damage caused by the clown?

The purple tang on the other hand looks much worse. Let me know what can be done to cure him.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The PT looks to have HLLE, and this is pretty common with them following copper exposure. I'm thinking the same might be happening with the Desjardini, but the fin & tail rot usually also means an infection is lingering.

Are you running carbon in the QT right now? If so, what kind? Can you test for stray voltage in the water? More info on HLLE below.

Head & Lateral Line Erosion "HLLE":

Symptoms - HLLE literally looks as though the skin is rotting or peeling off the fish. Affected areas usually include the face and lateral line, and may be white in color.

Treatment options - This is more of a condition than an actual disease. Since no one can agree on the exact cause, all you can do is address all of the following theories regarding HLLE:

1) Stray voltage - Use a titanium ground probe & test your tank for stray voltage.
2) Running carbon - Don’t use it, or use only premium grade carbon.
3) Nutritional deficiency - Feed high quality nutritional foods. Some have had success reversing the effects of HLLE by soaking food in “fish vitamins” and also feeding nori.

OP
OP
arvind

arvind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am on 72nd day today and in four days planning to move the fish to DT. At least the ones that are doing fine. Couple of things need your advice.

1. Stopped using carbon since didnt want to aggravate the HLLE situation. Have done couple of 50% water changes and I think the water should be copper free already. Can I acclimate the fish and transfer to the DT. Is there anything else that I need to do?
2. Since you suggest that HLLE is a condition and not a disease, can I move them to DT as well?
3. What about the fin rot of Desjardini? Since it is an infection, it is not a good idea to move him to the DT?

I have a vacation coming up in two weeks and will be gone for three weeks after that. Dont want to leave them in QT so looking for options. Pl. help.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Stopped using carbon since didnt want to aggravate the HLLE situation. Have done couple of 50% water changes and I think the water should be copper free already. Can I acclimate the fish and transfer to the DT. Is there anything else that I need to do?

So long as SG & temp match between QT & DT, you can just transfer them over without any acclimation procedure.

2. Since you suggest that HLLE is a condition and not a disease, can I move them to DT as well?

I would, yes.

3. What about the fin rot of Desjardini? Since it is an infection, it is not a good idea to move him to the DT?

This is concerning because HLLE typically starts around the face/lateral line and then spreads to the fins. However, if he does have a bacterial infection it is obviously just a gram positive one (he'd be dead by now if it were gram negative), so I would go ahead and put him in the DT. A healthy fish's natural immune system can easily fight off a gram positive infection, so IMO there is little chance of successful transmission occurring. But I would soak all your fish food in vitamin supplements until all fish look "normal" again. Also feed lots of nori. ;)

OP
OP
arvind

arvind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you HumbleFish. I am feeding the frozen foods soaked in vitamins. Also feeding Nori every other day.

Is HLLE curable 100%?

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 14 9.1%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 43 27.9%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 75 48.7%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 19 12.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back