QT Best practices

arvind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

Got velvet and have to quickly setup an QT. I have two XL size naso tangs that are like 7 inches long. I have a 30g and a 40g breeder. The 1st one is 30" long and the other one is 36" long but only 12" height. Which one is best suited for this size tang? Considering I am planning to fallow for 70+ days, I want to make the size is adequate for such large size tangs. I also have a large size purple tang & a XL Desarjini tang which will use the other tank. Plus I have bunch of misc fish that i need to fit them into one of these two tanks. Pl. advise.

I have more questions coming up in this thread, but can someone pl. answer my question above?

OP
OP
arvind

arvind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it. thanks. In my prior experience, I have had hard time keeping the fish alive in QT. Have killed more fish in QT than DT actually. Most of them follow the same pattern. They are feeding well for sometime. All of a sudden they stop eating. Then slowly wither away. The parameters have been fine. I only do a weekly water change though (25% water). Should I increase the frequency of water change?

What else could be wrong? I pretty much follow the guidelines that I see online. Still not sure what I am missing. Can someone chime in?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 30g and a 40g breeder.

I think you're going to need both tanks before its all over with. Treat all of your fish in the 40gal, but be prepared to also setup the 30 if fighting occurs between the tangs or if keeping the ammonia down becomes an issue. Tangs a) Like to fight with other tangs b) Are pooping machines.

OP
OP
arvind

arvind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you're going to need both tanks before its all over with. Treat all of your fish in the 40gal, but be prepared to also setup the 30 if fighting occurs between the tangs or if keeping the ammonia down becomes an issue. Tangs a) Like to fight with other tangs b) Are pooping machines.
I am setting up both tanks. I have a purple tang who is a mean SOB. I am going put him and extremely sick desjardini in the 30g along with smaller wrasses. All other tangs will go to the 40. Let's see how it goes.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
good luck! I would advise you to be ready to do large water changes, especially on the tank with all the tangs in it. It will get nasty quick with those big poopers in it.

OP
OP
arvind

arvind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all..

I spent all day and was able to catch only three more fish. I spent eight hours just to catch the purple tang and i am not exagerrating. So far I have caught eight fish. I still have ten more fish to catch. First time in my life I was complaining that I have too many fish. Oh well...

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
arvind

arvind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I have a trap already. Some walk into it with little effort but others are really putting my patience to test. Latest update is I only have three fish left to go and hopefully I will be done today.

OP
OP
arvind

arvind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is an acceptable ammonia in a QT? I know zero is ideal but in my case the ammonia badge shows an alert (0.25) every two days. Should I change water every other day?

Duke4Life

Just a crazy eel guy, LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is an acceptable ammonia in a QT? I know zero is ideal but in my case the ammonia badge shows an alert (0.25) every two days. Should I change water every other day?
I would because you never know how much will be to much for your fish, if meds have been added than the incoming water needs to be adjusted for this.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Zero is the only acceptable level of ammonia. If you need to do water changes every other day, then you just gotta do what you gotta do. When the tank cycles, you'll be able to lay off of the water changes a little.

OP
OP
arvind

arvind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the responses guys. I will plan to change the water every two days if that is what it takes.

Have one more question. Today is third day for most fish in both QT tanks I am running. Between yesterday and today, I have lost a blenny, a cleaner wrasse and a pajama cardinal. Another cardinal and a hippo tang is not eating today. Since it has only been two days, do you think it is the stress due to transfer? or it is the copper treatment that is not going well for some fish? I am concerned how I am going to keep at it for another 74 days.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they have stopped eating, it's a good bet they are sensitive to the copper. How quickly did you raise the copper level and what is it measuring at right now?

OP
OP
arvind

arvind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they have stopped eating, it's a good bet they are sensitive to the copper. How quickly did you raise the copper level and what is it measuring at right now?

I use Seachem Multi-test and I am unable to read the color chart accurately. First time I tested the blue was way over the top. Second time I diluted the water 1:1 as per the instructions and multiplied the result by 2. Still I am not confident on the levels it showed. All I can say is that I followed the instructions on Coppersafe. 5 ml per 4 gallons. My QT tanks - one is 30g and the other one is about 33g. Since they are not exactly full, I used slightly less coppersafe. During water change, I removed 10g of water in each tanks and I added 12.5ml of coppersafe.

Should I find a different test kit for testing the copper so I can be sure?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your using Coppersafe then your have the wrong test kit. You can use API for coppersafe which is a chelated copper.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll want to get that kit and test your copper level. if you raised the copper level too quickly then that could be a problem for the fish which would cause them to stop eating. This may be a good time to pull the copper out of the tank and get them eating again before trying again. It would give you the time to get the proper test kit, then raise the levels slowly over several days, maybe even 5.

OP
OP
arvind

arvind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sure will get the API kit. Getting the copper out - how exactly? Just by water change?

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 21 12.3%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 47 27.5%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 80 46.8%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 20 11.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back