QT filters HOB or sponges what is "best"

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so as my new tank get here on monday I will be setting up 2 QT tanks one for copper the other for after treat with priziopro or the like on all Fish going into DT..

question is I am not sure what to filter the QT tanks with? I do have one HOB AC50 what media should one use. poly fill and bio media? what bio media?

or should I go with air driven sponges filters here cheap is good but what it to easily do the job.

thanks guys

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size are the qt tanks? And do you have a DT set up now that you are running?

The ac 50 should be fine for be most qt tanks. I would go with double sponges and some bio rings as media.

If you have a display tank set up already you can put the rings in a bag, then toss them in the sump to get some bacteria growing on them.

Once the fish have been treated and you think they are ready to go in the display, you can add din some carbon to the qt filters to clear the water off contaminates that you don't want going on the DT.

I would aim for enough biological filtration to keep nitrates under control (as in door the rise of them), but since you'll be dosing meds, water changes are going to be your main control for that.

Will the be a permanent qt setup? If it's not, you can let the filter media dry out, then add back to the sump with the sponges so they're ready to go for next time.

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size are the qt tanks? And do you have a DT set up now that you are running?

The ac 50 should be fine for be most qt tanks. I would go with double sponges and some bio rings as media.

If you have a display tank set up already you can put the rings in a bag, then toss them in the sump to get some bacteria growing on them.

Once the fish have been treated and you think they are ready to go in the display, you can add din some carbon to the qt filters to clear the water off contaminates that you don't want going on the DT.

I would aim for enough biological filtration to keep nitrates under control (as in door the rise of them), but since you'll be dosing meds, water changes are going to be your main control for that.

Will the be a permanent qt setup? If it's not, you can let the filter media dry out, then add back to the sump with the sponges so they're ready to go for next time.

thanks for the replay.
QT tanks will be 2- 40br one for Copper and one for prizipro or the like.
yes I have a 40br up and running as my holding tank. the plan is move the fish to a 10gal tank with air hose move LR corals to new DT set up 40br as QT treat with copper move fish to new QT.

so I turn on my HOB AC50 on the DT and get that going for a few days then transfer that over to the QT tank. that was my original plan but having 2 QT tanks not sure what to filter the other one with?

I was looking at DIY sponge filters on YT...

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thinking of making on of these??
what do you think @4FordFamily @Humblefish

That looks like a good idea. Pretty simple stuff. I’d dose beneficial bacteria to colonize as well. We use BioSpira a lot. Dr Tims is great when you get a good bottle, but Fritz Turbostart 9000 seems to be the best per testing by @Dr. Reef

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the replay.
QT tanks will be 2- 40br one for Copper and one for prizipro or the like.
yes I have a 40br up and running as my holding tank. the plan is move the fish to a 10gal tank with air hose move LR corals to new DT set up 40br as QT treat with copper move fish to new QT.

so I turn on my HOB AC50 on the DT and get that going for a few days then transfer that over to the QT tank. that was my original plan but having 2 QT tanks not sure what to filter the other one with?

I was looking at DIY sponge filters on YT...
What are you using to filter the 40 now? You can just use that.

You could go the diy sponge filter route, but there are some super cheap sponge filters out now, look for aquatop are deep blue brands.

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like a good idea. Pretty simple stuff. I’d dose beneficial bacteria to colonize as well. We use BioSpira a lot. Dr Tims is great when you get a good bottle, but Fritz Turbostart 9000 seems to be the best per testing by @Dr. Reef

yeah I have been fallowing that thread!

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
right now just a HOB skimmer/LR and WC...
Ok

If you have an aquaclear 50, maybe grab another one. This way you're not trying to get to different media for each filter.

If you don't have the aquaclear, I would go with the sponge filters. You could go with air bubblers, or get some cheap powerheads like maxi jets to use with them.

I would try to keep them the same to make your life easier.

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah I have one AC50 with the intank media basket the sponge filter would be alot cheaper I dropped around 4K on the build so far so kinda on a budget here...I do have a few air pumps around so all in would need is some sponge and PVC and a bac. in bottle...

I do like the sound of the AC50 tho prob will use that on one tank and a sponge on the other. any one see a problem with that idea?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Humblefish tested Seachem's Matrix; I tested Fluval's BioMax, and both were found to work very well as "seeded" ceramic materials for QTs treating with copper. They absorb none of the copper that either of us could detect and eliminate the problem of filter materials that do absorb copper and thus require periodic/frequent re-dosing to maintain therapeutic levels of copper in the QT.

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Humblefish tested Seachem's Matrix; I tested Fluval's BioMax, and both were found to work very well as "seeded" ceramic materials for QTs treating with copper. They absorb none of the copper that either of us could detect and eliminate the problem of filter materials that do absorb copper and thus require periodic/frequent re-dosing to maintain therapeutic levels of copper in the QT.

good to know! do you think they would work better for QT than a DIY sponge filter? I just want to know I have a good filter to do the job.

should I use both HOB filter + sponge filter?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, for QT consider "seeding" a HOB filter + bubble filter sponge + ceramic material like Fluval BioMax or Seachem's Matrix. Can seed them in your DT's sump for 30 days or by soaking them for 24-48 hours in a biological aid like BioSpira, Turbo Start 900, Dr. Tim's, etc.

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok i'll see if I can do the HOB filter + sponge.
was hoping just to get away with an oversized sponge filter in one tank.

QTing starting to add up hanna checker w/ extra regents, copper power, ammonia badge , heaters...good thing I have lights and tanks so that is a win.

in the end I sure hope it's worth it and I have a happy healthy tank full of fish and corals!

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back