Quarantine Setup: What to do with filter media when QT tank not in use?

slingfox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently setup a QT tank and my first set of fish will be graduating to the display tank soon. What do people do with the ceramic filter media and plastic filter sponge when the QT tank is not in use? Do people just run the QT tank empty? Or can I put the media and sponge into a bucket and keep the beneficial bacteria it alive that way? I assume it is a bad idea to try to rinse the media and sponge and place it back into the display sump.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I recently setup a QT tank and my first set of fish will be graduating to the display tank soon. What do people do with the ceramic filter media and plastic filter sponge when the QT tank is not in use? Do people just run the QT tank empty? Or can I put the media and sponge into a bucket and keep the beneficial bacteria it alive that way? I assume it is a bad idea to try to rinse the media and sponge and place it back into the display sump.
The Medicaid exposed to copper May contain copper
Run in tank with carbon to reduce any traceable amount if intended to use in new tank

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sponge filter can be placed in your sump if you have one. Then it will be ready should you need to set up a QT in the future.

OP
OP
S

slingfox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, it sounds like it should be relatively safe to take the sponge and small bag of ceramic media from my 10g QT tank and put it the sump of my 140g display system (110g display + 30g sump). I will rinse out the sponge and media in saltwater and run carbon for a week or so. I want to re-use the same sponge and media whenever I need to set up a QT tank again.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back